Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.41 MAG TGT LOADS
 Login/Join

posted
THIS IS MY FIRST POST, PROUD TO BE REGISTERED, HAVE BEEN A VISITOR MANY TIMES IN THE PAST. I HANDLOAD AND CAST LEAD, ISNT LIFE SWEET! I JUST GOT A NEW TOY A TAURUS MDL 415 W/2.5 BBL. I WANTED A CON/CARRY GUN THAT WOULD SPEAK WITH AUTHORITY. IM WORKING UP LIGHTER LOADS FOR TGT/P. IM LEANING TOWARDS FASTER BURNING DUE TO SHORT BARREL LENGTH. ANY KNOWLEDGE OR THOUGHTS ON THE MATTER? THANKS.

Posts: 8 | Location: middle tn. | Registered: 01 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 41 mag is quite easy to load for. I have had very good luck with cast bullet accuracy. Universal Clays and Green Dot are very good for cast bullet loads. Accuracy with both have been impressive.With UC try about 7.0 grains and 210 swc, with green dot try 7.4 gr and 210 swc. Use win. large pistol primer or CCI 300 with both loads. For a great carry load with a jacketed bullet try the sierra 170 JHC and either 9.0 gr of green dot or 9.9 gr of UC. great accuracy with very low recoil. I get great expansion with this bullet, velocity of about 1200 fps from a 6.5"

Posts: 47 | Location: Montana | Registered: 21 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The 41 mag is quite easy to load for.
you got my attention with this line, and
quote:
Accuracy with both have been impressive
I need you to expand on this one for me - define your impressive accuracy please.

Posts: 309 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cast bullet accuracy with Green Dot in both .41 mag and .44 spl has been pleasing for the informal target shooting I do.

I haven't bench tested it or measured groups, but firing offhand, they were small enough to make me happy.

Congrats on the .41 mag - it's a very useful but neglected cartridge. My vote for self-defense is the Winchester 175 grain silvertip. It is a medium pressure load that makes follow-up shots
easier than a full-house round.

BigIron