New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading-HELP!!
 Login/Join

<USA-1>
posted
I know nothing about reloading but would like to reload a couple hundred rounds a year for my 44mags and 450 Marlin. I am not interested in any other load right now. What do I need to load a few rounds at a time. I usually buy all my ammo but used to have my 44s loaded by a friend.I was looking at a Lee loader which loads low volume. any suggestions??

posted Hide Post
I started reloading with a Lee Loader and they do a fine job for low volume, zillions of rounds have been produced with this simple kit. It is available for the .44 magnum but not, I think, for the .450 Marlin. You will want a case trimmer and a chamfer tool from Lee as well, and maybe a primer pocket cleaner - they are cheap. Sooner or later you will probably want a caliper to measure cartridge length.

If you want to tinker with the powder charges you will also want a scale. The Lee Loader system uses a dipper to measure powder, and without a scale you have to be careful to purchse powder that 'matches' the capacity of the dipper.

If you decide down the road that you want to get a regular press then most of the Lee Loader gear/scale/trimmer, etc. will remain useful. All you will really need additionally is a press (as low as $25) and a set of dies for each caliber ($25 and up), a priming tool ($9), and a funnel.

The time honored method for starting out with a press at low cost is the Lee Anniversary Kit plus a set of dies for each caliber. For low volume it is hard to recommend anything else. Fancier presses let you load faster, not necessarily better.

You will also need at least one manual, and two are better. Lee's manual comes with their Anniversary Kit, Lyman and Speer both have better illustrated instructions.

Posts: 1 | Location: Norfolk, VA | Registered: 20 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Deep South,
Once you start reloading, it will get in your blood. Start with a single stage press, preferably an RCBS, and you will have it the rest of your life and pass it along to your son. The hand lee loaders are ok, but there is nothing like a good single stage(one die at a time)press. You might only need two loadings for now, but you and I both know that you will add more as you go. Plus the satisfaction of making your own ammo is life changing. Shoot more=reload more=shoot more.

SP

Posts: 112 | Location: Akron, Ohio, USA | Registered: 25 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey USA-1, Welcome to the Board.

I"d recommend you find a new Reloading buddy first off. Easy to do down here since a lot of us reload. Stop by your local Gun Shop, the Range or ask your hunting buddies who amongst them reloads.

While you are looking for him, buy a couple of Component Manufacturers Manuls. For example, if you plan to use Speer bullets and Hodgdon powders, buy their Manuals. If you plan to primarily use someone elses components, buy their Manuals.

Most of the questions you will have early on are answered well within the Manuals, plus some you won't be aware of to ask.

Once you have located the new buddy, buy yourself a set of Carbide Dies and a Shell Holder for the 44RemMag. Plus a set of regular Full Length Dies and Shell Holder for the 450Mar. The newest Manuals should have Load Data for the 450Mar, if not get the latest FREE Hodgdon, etc., Load Data pamplets at your local Gun Shop.

These Manuals and pamplets will tell you which Primers and Powders to buy for each caliber.

Take your Dies, cases, primers, powders and bullets over to your "New Reloading Buddy's" and let him oversee your initial Loading. If you are near Charlotte, NC, let me know and I'll be glad to help you out.

Once you see what's going on, then buy the Press, Scale, case Trimmers, etc., and set-up your own Reloading Room at home. You can learn to Reload without having the buddy, but you will learn quicker with a buddy and not waste a lot of money along the way.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
USA-1:

I would never trust a volumetric measure of powder without checking it periodically with a scale.

Bite the bullet and get a powder scale. Cheap insurance.

Posts: 26 | Location: Marilla, NY, outside of Buffalo | Registered: 11 June 2002Reply With Quote
<USA-1>
posted
Friends,
You don't know how much you have helped with your advice. I really appreciate you all. Wishing you all the best.
USA-1