New
Find
Notify
Tools

44mag loads for desert eagle
 Login/Join

<cozye>
posted
Does anyone have any experience making loads for a 44mag desert eagle? I would be greatful to get any info or experience on bullet shape (JHP's, truncated FP, etc.) Over all length, etc..
Desert eagles are kind of picky about ammo, but I feel confident that the right load would feed reliably in this gun. I know that factory hydroshock ammo feeds great, black hills feeds great, while JSPs jam a lot.

<goneballistic>
posted
A few years ago, a Desert Eagle shooter at the range was having problems with his Fiocche factory ammo. I let him try some loads I had made up as a lark, 240 grain HPs on top of AA#5. His pistol ate them up, functioned beautifully. I would say that the fast AA#5 was the key. Don't remember the load, but I remember it was a warm one, and I got the data from the Speer #11 manual.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I had a DE for awhile & loaded H110 or W296 w/ any of the jacketed bullets where the jacket extends to the end, like Hornady's XTP. Stay away from lead bullets as these will eventually cause you problems w/ the gas system.
The Hornady 300gr XTP is a great shooting load for large game.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Moremonte
posted Hide Post
Tried 2 differnt Eagles a 6in and 10in.Both would only digest 240gr and H110 or W296 at near max .any thing else was a disaster on brass or accuracy.

Posts: 2038 | Location: Grove,OK. | Registered: 20 July 2002Reply With Quote
<cozye>
posted
Thanks for the info guys. I assume everyone was using jacketed hollow points as one had mentioned.

<WRYFOX>
posted
Desert Eagles like max or greater loads. Actually I read the 357 DE was designed for what amounts to a 357 mag +p, which were loads developed originally by IMI to represent the OLD std for 357 mag before SAAMI lowered the pressure way back when. They are very warm loads, 125g at 1500+ but I found this was the way the pistol functioned reliably, and the DE manual actually spoke of the need to use IMI made ammo or heavy loads, preferably with 180g bullets. Anything less than current published max simply wouldn't eject, but with the warm loads and heavy bullets it worked like silk, ejecting 4-6 ft just fine. With the 44 mag you have a similar issue. It is designed to work at max loads and heavy bullets. Light bullets or low loads will leave unburned grains in the chamber and subsequent rounds will get dimpled or won't eject. Load them to max loads, especially with 296 or 110 which need near max loads anyway to burn properly. The 50 mag will not work with anything less than the IMI power levels either. I gave up both the 44 and 50 and got an AMT Automag IV (45 win mag)& V (50AE)which will both tolerate lighter loads in either caliber. The 357 is a hoot, particulary with the 14" target barrel. recoil feels like a 22.