Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Stuck casing
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted
The last time this was posted a guy got his out with a chamber mop. It will hang up on the rough brass and pull it out. What ever you do don't use a scewdriver you will ruin the chamber.

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Squirt a good amount of Kroil into the chamber from the breech end. Let it sit muzzle down for a while. Run a rod from the breech end out of the muzzle and thread a larger than calibre cleaning brush (ie .308)into the end of the rod and then draw it out of the breech end.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Get a small tapered plug of plumbers epoxy putty and stuff it into the case very carefully so you don't glue the case into the chamber(you can put a paper spacer in the front of the case if you want to). Then when it hardens in 20 min you can tap it out with a cleaning rod. Be sure the brass is free of oil or it might not stick. I've used this a couple times.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Good idea why didnt I think of that.
If I had thought of that years ago I wouldnt have trashed my receiver with a darn screwdriver.
It seems that I always have to learn the hard way.
Thanks for the tip it may come in handy some day.

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What's the best way to get a stuck casing out of a chamber? I had an stw casing that broke-off right above the belt leaving the casing stuck in the chamber. Any ideas?

Justin

one of us
posted Hide Post
The ECHO line of stuck case removers works very well. Brownells carries them. I didn't see a specific listing for the 7 STW in the catalogue, but you will be able to get one directly from the manufacturer. When I bought some of these back in the late 1980's the cost was $14.95. Now it is up to $17.95, which is still pretty reasonable for what it does.

The last address I have is:

W.J. Riebe Co.

3434 Tucker Road

Boise, ID 83703

(208) 336-3007 (Bill Riebe)

They make these for a specific caliber. There are some home brewed remedies that I'm sure work fine in the hands of someone more skilled than I am. I like the ECHO product because it works very well, and you don't run a risk of ruining your chamber.

Good Luck,

JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If its a bolt or break action there is another way that works most of the time. Working from the breech end take a good strong clean rod, put a brass brush on it that fits fairly snug in the chamber (actually now its the inside of the case), shove the brush just into the case and pull back. The brush bristles will grab the case and allow you to pull it free. It may take a couple tries but it works.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried the brush thing, that didn't work. I guess it may have to go to a gunsmith.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Don't know how many times you have loaded your cases. If the shoulder of your chamber is a little forward and you are full length resizing you maybe working your brass too much and it is parting. On all my belted cases I set up my sizer so I actually headspace on the shoulder. Works the brass a lot less.

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will have to try the epoxy trick. Any ideas as to why my casing broke off? This is the second casing to crack above the belt in the last 20 rounds. Is it just weak brass?