THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New guy here and of course some questions....
 Login/Join

posted
This place has lots of great info, quite a find. A little background: an uncle died a few years back after which I acquired a Rem 700 in 7mm and reloading gear which included tons of stuff to do the 7mm. I finally decided to load my first ammo last week and used what I had on hand, IMR 4831, Nosler Part. 140 and 160's, new Rem. brass, I purchased Fed 215 primers, as well as a Sierra manual. I took my time (meaning two hours) and loaded 15 140's with 62.4 grs of IMR, OAL of 3.245 and 16 160's with 61 grs of IMR, OAL of 3.290. I followed the manual exactly since this was my first attempt. So off to the range. The 140 load was o.k. in accuracy with the 160 pretty erratic and inconsistent accuracy wise. Now I also had about 20 rounds my uncle had loaded which were a 160 Nosler Part, Win case, unk. primer and unk. powder of 67.2 grs (I pulled two bullets to measure), and OAL of 3.30. This stuff had really good accuracy, less than one inch at 100 yds, and quite noticeably more recoil. I would love to duplicate this load but have no idea what powder it was. So where do I go from here? I see "work up your loads" but what does that entail exactly? I think will try some RE 22 seeing that it is popular in loading 7mm. Other items I have are Fed 210 primers (?) new Win brass, and H4831.

Thanks in advance,
Rob

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Hey Rob

Welcome

67.2 gr sounds a little heavy for the RL22 which has a listed book max in the Nosler #5 of 63 grains. H4831 has a listed max of 60 in the Hodgdon's data but their data is always very conservative. IMR7828 is getting closer with a book max of 66.5 grains. I suspect your Uncle was loading a little hot, which is OK with a lot of experience and working up to it slowly.

RL22 is the load I use at about 63 grains. I have also had some luck with RL25 which has a listed max of 70 grains in the Speer data for 160 gr bullets. I found a decent load at 68 grains and 2925 fps with RL25. I use Fed215M mangnum primers.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think Woods may be onto it, RL 25 is about the only thing I saw that would give that kind of charge, and NOT be pretty much over max.

Working up is pretty much what it sounds like, and there are a lot of opinions on how to do it efficiently, but I will load 3 rounds at charges that start at a book minimum charge, and then load succesive groups of 3 rounds with the powder charge increased by .3 grains until I end up at the max charge.

I then fire them in ascending order at a target with a number of spots matching the number of different charge weight loads I have built. So as an example, if I had 15 different charge weights (3 rounds each) I would have a target or targets with 15 seperate aiming points. I would shoot the first load at spot 1, and then take the load that was the next heavier charge weight and fire that at spot 2 etc. Keep good notes, and watch for signs of pressure as you work up the ladder of increasing charge weights.
This will also show you groups of shots withe the different charge weights that your rifle seems to prefer. If your best groups all seem to come at the middle range of charge weights for example, then you know your rifle tends to like middle charge weights with that particular powder, primer, bullet, brass, and also very importantly, OAL. I have found bullet seating depth can impact accuracy as much as many other things.

Hope this wasn't too confusing,
Good Luck to you!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
There is no way of knowing what powder was used by the charge wgt or appearance. There are a number of powders it could be, R25, H870, H100, AA8700, ect. All of these powders can be loaded to the charge range you found and I`m sure if one looked he could find more. I`d pick a suitable powder or two and work up my own loads. It`s better safe then sorry....... thumb

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You may have already tried this but most likely your uncle left notes of what he loaded. You need to do the same if your not already.
Ask his widow or family if they have any of his notes.
May make short work out of finding out what the load is.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome RobG,

67.2gr. of 4831 was a old load of mine, But it was for the 140gr. I no longer use that load as I have gone to RL#22 with the 160gr. bullet, and a max powder charge for my rifle at 64.8gr. Good luck with your reloading Rob.

Posts: 185 | Location: MICHIGAN | Registered: 21 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RobG:
So where do I go from here? I see "work up your loads" but what does that entail exactly?

Working up your loads means 'safety first.' So, what you need to do is go back to the beginning and start over. My Sierra Reloading data manual Edition V (5) has, "The Reloading Process. What is it?" starting on page 143. Read it thoroughly. Although many AR members prefer pointing newbys to the Lyman manual...very detailed explanation of the reloading process.

Or call the Sierra tech line. Sierra tech line

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the good info. I have looked for notes but found nothing. He actually wasn't currently reloading, for a couple of years I would guess. I am keeping them myself though. I am going to stick with a 160 since it seems to be a good all-around weight. I also have a box of Sierra spt boat tail 160's I am going to try. Loading 3 rounds is great info. I loaded 15 of each only to find some were poor performers and now have ammo to waste or pull apart, waste of time and $$.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rob,

Just for your info, 63.5 grains of H-4831 with 150 grain Nosler Partitions is very accurate in my 7mm Mag (three shots into a 1/2" group at 100). I use Fed 210 primers however, so start low and work up with the 215 Federal primers you use.

Don