Find
Notify
Tools

RCBS Equipment- Price Question?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Disclaimer* I've never reloaded, but I can't think of a better place to ask--
My Father has a friend who wants to sell his reloading set-up. Just wondering what a ball-park price would be?

It contains the following items--
-RCBS Rock Chuckar Press
-RCBS JR3 Press
-RCBS 10-5 Scale
-Powder Trickler
-Forrester Case Trimmer
-RCBS Lube A Matic
-RCBS UniFlow Powder measurer
-Redding Powder Measurer
-RCBS DeBurring tool
-RCBS Bullet Pullet w/o collet
-Various RCBS Primer trays and Cartridge Trays
-Older Wilson Trimmer

It is all in great condition and doesn't show much use. Probably sat around for 20+ years without being used and has a little surface rust here and there on some parts and pieces.

Any idea on a ball-park value would be appreciated.

Also- The dies he has are non-carbide. Are they worth much? 30/06, 357 Mag, 9mm Luger, 45 ACP

Posts: 787 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I would look to someplace like Midway. I would guess in the 50-75% of new if it is in good shape. Trays etc not so much.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
You can buy a starter kit from Rcbs for about $300.00 If I were just starting you could make him an offer $200 to $250 see if he bites.
flank him a little and see if he would be interested in helping you get started.
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For a person to person sale with no auction these are my best guesstimates.

Auction prices can be 50% to 100% higher with today's market mania.

The prices I guessed are based on actual prices I have paid or observed for many of these items at garage sales, guns shows and pre shortage Ebay.
I know there will be a lot of folks that disagree with some of these prices but I am a very tough shopper.

Ordinary and common caliber FL dies sets are about $15 each.
Benchrest type dies and rare (as in really rare) types may be 2X to 3X that price.

Guessing at the lack of humidity in Utah I doubt that you have any rust that will amount to much unless stored in the weather or a damp location.

quote:

-RCBS Rock Chuckar Press $75
-RCBS JR3 Press $40
-RCBS 10-5 Scale $25
-Powder Trickler 5
-Forrester Case Trimmer 25 (depends on the number of pilots and collets)
-RCBS Lube A Matic $65 (depends on dies and top punch collection with it)
-RCBS UniFlow Powder measurer $35
-Redding Powder Measurer $30 depends - some BR models are more expensive
-RCBS DeBurring tool $5
-RCBS Bullet Pullet w/o collet $10
-Various RCBS Primer trays and Cartridge Trays plastic trays maybe $2 each
-Older Wilson Trimmer $20 depends on the number of shell holders and if you can even use them. They are cartridge specific

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As posted, I'd start at $200. In fact, I'd lay 2 hundred dollar bills on his table and if he squirmed a bit, I'd add another 50 dollar bill. And I'd gently remind him that you are buying stuff that has been doing nothing except collecting dust.
Cash on the table is a powerful incentive.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Those are quality tools and a god start for someone to start out reloading with. If you could get them for $200-250 It would be a good deal and you would save him the hassle of selling individual stuff so a win-win.
And don't forget to ask him about any reloading manuals he might have lying around. Wink

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the thoughts. Helps a lot.

Posts: 787 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote