New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Eyes were bigger than my wallet
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
digger - from the photo in your opening post, i can't tell for sure, but it looks like you are set up pretty well to begin.

only two suggestions i would add are a case trimmer (i prefer lee) and a pullet puller (frankford arsenal). here's a tip for the bullet puller: it comes with 3 three-piece collets held together with o-rings. throw these collets away and simply use the shell holder from your auto-prime!

you might also consider a loading block of some kind; this helps with convenience and safety. you can make a nice one yourself from a length of 2x4, a drill, a sanding block and a little poly or varnish - stain is optional! three holes wide on the block and a total of 21 holes gives you one extra hole for progressing the cases forward as you trim, prime, charge etc.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grumulkin:
You guys really need to work on your marketing skills and tactics.

1. You need to protect her. To protect her you need to be able to shoot. To be able to shoot well you need to practice.

2. The saving money part is good; you just need to emphasize it more.

3. Use the dump truck principle. If you want a pickup, don't ask for a pickup. Ask for a dump truck and then compromise and get a pickup. This works with anything. If you want a 30/06, start out by requesting a 460 Weatherby Magnum.

4. Always buy the more expensive to load for gun first. That way you can not only justify reloading equipment but also a cheaper to shoot gun.

5. It's a well known fact that women can only count to three. After you get 3 of anything, the items in question are known as "those" and you can get as many and as much as you like; I got to the critical three in dies, reloading equipment, etc. many years ago.

6. Emphasize what you sell and not so much what you buy.

7. Your kid will tell you how the other kid has so and so but he/she doesn't. The same principle will work for you if you have friends that have more reloading equipment/guns than you do.

8. Purchase gold, jewels, silver, platinum, precious stones, etc. for her. Flowers ain't bad either.

9. Mention how reloading keeps you out of bars and other unsavory activities/places. It helps to have unsavory friends for examples in order to sell this.

10. It is much better to postpone information about a purchase. When your sweetheart notices the stuff many months later, you can in all truthfulness say that you "have had it a long time."

haha! I don't mean to hijack the thread here, but this is great info! Big Grin

I see a few of my current "tactics" in there, but it sure is nice to have a consolidated list. I've got her accustomed to my expensive toys and hobbies for the time being, but we're getting married in less than three weeks, so I expect things will begin to change (according to all my unsavory friends). Roll Eyes

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the idea of a loading block. It would save me from accidentially doing things like adding a double charge. I am going to make one this weekend. Thanks for the idea.

One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Digger0040:
I like the idea of a loading block. It would save me from accidentially doing things like adding a double charge. I am going to make one this weekend. Thanks for the idea.

Man I love my loading blocks! Found its best to have 2. That way when moving cartridges between stages you can move from one to another. I know of some people who paint/stain there's different colors to help for a quick look. The idea has been coming across maybe to do one that is painted or stained in 2 colors for over flow cartridges. (for those 3 or 4 extra rounds.)

Disabled Vet(non-combat) - US Army
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunter, trapper, machinest, gamer, angler, and all around do it your selfer.
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Load blocks are very handy.Digger0040 check your PM`s.Sent some useful pics.

Posts: 103 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: 04 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ran across a similar question a while back. It involved a 44 Special, wife, kids, and what to get for Christmas.

The answers revealed a lot of insight into handling marital purchases.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=42790
or, if the link does not work, paste this into your web browser
rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=42790

Lost Sheep (fully qualified to do marriage counselling because for 60 years I have succesfully avoided the institution.)

Remember, only believe half of what you see and one quarter of what you hear. That goes double for what you get from the internet. Even this post. Maybe especially this post.

Also remember, even the idiotic stuff might have a kernel of truth buried in there somewhere.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
After re-reading your original post, I see that you may have some relationship repair to do in order to do your reloading with a clear conscience. (and without icy stares boring into the back of your head)

First, I will relate some advice delivered by a photographer to two friends of mine when they were newlyweds. The photog had been married for over 50 years. They were on their honeymoon in Hawaii.

He said, looking hard at the groom, "You! You do everything she tells you.", then, looking even harder at the bride, but speaking softer, "and you; you spoil him so rotten no other woman will want him."

Women are hard-wired to take care of their families. Their children, their homes, their cookware, their husbands. (Maybe in that order, but at least their husbands are on the list.)

Tell her how reloading is therapeutic. Many reloaders find the zen-like concentration is relaxing and allows them to get their universe re-centered and their heads cleared (for the important stuff, like their wives). She will want to make sure you get that healthful, relaxing therapy. Don't oversell it.

The foregoing is for future reference for future purchases. For right now, you are into damage control. For that, read the below wisdom.

Now, take this into your heart. If she is mad at you, you did something wrong. That is by definition. She - mad = You - wrong. It does not matter if you were completely justified, absolutely right. You - wrong.

So, to fix it.

Do everything you can to repair/mitigate any damage and relieve any pain. Even stuff that hasn't happened yet. Even stuff unrelated.

After everything is all done, and this is VITAL, confess. Women love a good confession. Women love a good confesser (but one who does not need to do it too often).

Be contrite, but not guilty.

Tell her what you did and what you did to fix it.

Confession by candlelight is best. With flowers.

Who knows, you may get the consolation of make-up sex. But don't ask, ever. It's her call and you can tell how good you did by how willing she is.

Lost Sheep (fully qualified to do marriage counselling because for 60 years I have succesfully avoided the institution.)

Remember, only believe half of what you see and one quarter of what you hear. That goes double for what you get from the internet. Even this post. Maybe especially this post.

Also remember, even the idiotic stuff might have a kernel of truth buried in there somewhere.

Or.... take her to Hawaii for a week.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now that you have the Lee Classic (Hammer-style) loader, you might as well get Richard Lee's book "Modern Reloading". He goes into detail about using the loader, as well as a regular press.

I managed to find a copy that came with a free press during a special offer last year. $11 for the book and press. (for a $25 book!!) The book and press now sell for $30, I think. It is the cheapest aluminum press made (my friend already broke the mounting base on his when he stumbled against it in his very cramped workspace), but he managed to drill a couple of holes in it and re-mount it. If you manage to find one, though it will do to reload your ammunition. The only trouble is you still have to get the Dies - another $30 or $40. Save up your lunch money.

tasunkawitko has a good idea with the single block with one more hole than your standard box of bullets. Start with all cases at the left end of the block with the empty hole on the right. As you load, the empty hole will migrate to the left.

I am not that organized. I use two blocks, one on the left of my work area and one on the right. As I perform each operation on the cartridgess, the move from one block to the other. Harder to mixed up, which is easy for me.

Some people hate the Lee stuff (the hammer type as well as the regular presses whether they are aluminum or cast iron) Some people swear by them as the most cost-effective in the world. The Lee Hand Primer, while cheap is well thought of by even RCBS and Redding fans (some of them). My friend likes the RCBS hand primer because it fits his hand better. You will develop your preferences as you gain experience and see equipment around.

For the hammer, some use a rawhide mallet. Some use wood. I have a small mallet with one hard rubber face and one plastic face. But I mostly use my press.

You are reloading now. That's good. Now you can afford to take your time and pick out what you believe will fit your needs best.

I noticed that you have ordered an electronic scale. Some like them a lot I don't trust them so much. Some are inadequately shielded against stray magnetic fields and get erratic, especially aroung flourescent lights. Check yours regularly. I use a balance beam, and while I regularly use the Lee scoops to measure out my powder charges, I ALWAYS check the weight being thrown at least twice while loading (before I start and when I finish). Healthy paranoia, I call it.

Lost Sheep

one of us
posted Hide Post
Digger,

Lots of really valuable info here.....a small portion of it actually refers to how to get started in reloading.

When you use relatives, friends, aquaintances & "All Others" as a fitting example of how shrewd & clever you are regarding reloading, rifles (includes shotguns, pistols & revolvers, too), hunting & shooting ensure they are NEVER present when such exchanges are being offered for consumption.

Example:

Wife: "Going shooting?" (As I casually stroll by with brand new $4,000.00 Blaser K-95 Stutzen - hada give a small peek; 'cause the tucked under the left armpit and down to the back of my leg routine was a little too obvious). "Oh!, Nice looking rifle, I don't remember seeing that one before......?"

Me: "Ugh.....Oh.......well; Why woodcha have seen it before? It's a Closet Queen; been stuck in the back realms of the Gun Safe for years." (Learning curve - always use a gun case!)

Doorbell rings. I'm standing next to door in the hope of making quick exit anyway and stuck having to answer to whoever's there.....

Friend: (now Ex-Friend), "Good morning, let's go.....Hey! Isn't that one of those BRAND new, really expensive Blaser K-95 Stutzens - What caliber?!"

Roll Eyes

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
quote:
He said, looking hard at the groom, "You! You do everything she tells you.", then, looking even harder at the bride, but speaking softer, "and you; you spoil him so rotten no other woman will want him."

Good advice.

You NEVER EVER should say no to your wife because that is looked on as rebellion and rebellion won't be tolerated. ALWAYS say uh huh, yes or something similar.

You may wonder how you are going to acquiesce to all of your wife's requests. It's really no problem.

Your wife will eventually come to think of you as incompetent, of poor memory or deaf and that's a good thing. You thus conveniently avoid appearing rebellious and at the same time can get by with not doing all the things you say you'll do. Most of the time, the requests are just a passing fad anyway.

Also, though this has nothing to do with reloading, there are some things that you NEVER should appear competent in doing. These things include cooking, doing laundry, etc.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
quote:
You NEVER EVER should say no to your wife because that is looked on as rebellion and rebellion won't be tolerated. ALWAYS say uh huh, yes or something similar.

Good advice! All I can say with my wife(to be) wants something that is impotent(to her) and I say no....4 little words sums it up. You Cock Blocked Yourself!

Best thing to do is invest in a good solid press get your dies(not a fan of lee) a good powder though and scale. You should be good for a wile. Soon there after maybe by the end of the summer you will be looking to get a case trimmer then from there it gets even more addicting!

My wife comes from a very conservative family and understands the costs of shooting and how important hunting is. Even if she is very liberal her self she UNDERSTANDS! She grew up knowing her grandfather would hit the woods if they hit hard times. She knew many a meal of deer.
So when I say I NEED something on the reloading bench she dosnt mind. Its when I say I WANT, well...I make the money so tuff shit! Wink

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
I simply bought my wife her own guns. Now she doesn't complain at all when I'm out reloading!

I just love it when she asks "Are the Zombies coming tonite?"

"I'm not sure. Guess I better load up another thousand rounds of .223, huh?"

"And don't forget the 9 mil".

"Got about 1500 9 mil already."

"Load some more. I want to be ready."

and the infamous words...

"Yes, Dear"

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rnovi:
I simply bought my wife her own guns. Now she doesn't complain at all when I'm out reloading!

I just love it when she asks "Are the Zombies coming tonite?"

"I'm not sure. Guess I better load up another thousand rounds of .223, huh?"

"And don't forget the 9 mil".

"Got about 1500 9 mil already."

"Load some more. I want to be ready."

and the infamous words...

"Yes, Dear"

That right there is some good shit! It would be funny to thing she meant it!(no offense)
I have a wicked zombie first person shooter on my xbox360 called Left 4 Dead. It is sweet!
Next step is to get the wife to try shooting!
WISH ME LUCK!

NRA LIFE MEMBER

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Diggerman,

I have an old C&H press and scale laying around. You pay the shipping and they're yours.

beer

They're not much to look at but functional.

Posts: 1057 | Location: Washngton State | Registered: 14 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Code4:
What my wife doesn't know won't upset her.

And women are like guns.
If you keep one around long enough, you're going to want to shoot it.

Posts: 554 | Location: CT | Registered: 17 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buff:
Hey Diggerman,

I have an old C&H press and scale laying around. You pay the shipping and they're yours.

digger - i can vouch for buff - he's a good fellow;

also, if that is a CH "H" press, it's the same as the one i have just started using and seems to be a dang good press!

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Taz beer

Diggerman, I was wrong, this press and scale are made by Bair.

Still yours if you want 'em.

Posts: 1057 | Location: Washngton State | Registered: 14 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Digger0040, four years on, how is it going?

Have you gotten your wife into shooting/handloading yet?

Lost Sheep

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Maybe she said "Sure, you can have the Hornady LNL but you have to give up the computer". Big Grin
Or maybe we are the unsavory crew that Grumulkin was referring to Confused

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No telling how many thousands of reloaders got started with a Lee Loader. And bench rest shooters are still setting records using dippers. The only thing I'd add to your rig at this time is a Lee auto prime. Hammering the case onto the primer can sometimes pop one. There's no danger but it is kinda exciting when it goes off.

Many, many years ago, when I took up reloading, I figured out I could load 100 rounds of 30-06 ammo for the price of a single box of 20 store bought. I gave my wife that information and closed the books. Over the years, I have bought several rifles with the money I have "saved" by reloading. Smiler

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote