New
Find
Notify
Tools

CHANGE OF POINT OF IMPACT
 Login/Join

<CARR4570>
posted
My dad and I were watching a movie (The Lost Batallion) on the History Channel when we had a question come up. How much will a bayonet on the end of a barrel change the point of impact? I'm talking about a bayonet lug supported by the barrel only not like on the Lee-Enfield. I know it would make a huge difference to a benchrest shooter, but how much diference would it really make?

one of us
posted Hide Post
From a practical point, let us say, none. When you put the bayonet on, the need for pinpoint accuracy is rather moot.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've not yet shot my Lee Enfield with the bayonet on (I'm told it makes an excellent hand warmer ) but I can imagine that the extra weight waving about beyond the muzzle takes a bit of compensating for.

------------------
tikka 3 barrels

Posts: 360 | Location: Sunny, but increasingly oppressed by urbanites England | Registered: 13 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tried this once (many years ago)for shits and giggles, on a #4, made about a 9" differance in POI, as I recall. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<CARR4570>
posted
Yes I'm aware that it would seem a moot point since the bayonet is a close in weapon, this was simply a what if question.