New
Find
Notify
Tools

243 howa
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone out there loading for a 243 Howa??
I have one and its accuracy has gone off the boil and I've tried a lot of fixes.The rifle is glass bedded, free floated with the standard trigger readjusted.Like this, the rifle used to do .7 to .8 groups but now I'm lucky if it can hover around 2".I have cleaned it , there was no fouling to speak of( only a little powder).

Posts: 168 | Location: Kalgoorlie, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use sweets 7.62 every time I shoot it and havent had a hint of blue on the patches for 5-600 rounds.The most I usually shoot in a session 50-60 rounds.Its most accurate load at the moment is a 60 gn Tiapan bullet with 39.5 gn AR2208(varget).The rifling still looks crisp and sharp, the leade on the rifling is still easily visible to the naked eye, no cloudy looking spots in the bore or chamber or throat.
I'm going to buy some more factory loads to recheck it with to rule out my loads and gear.

Posts: 168 | Location: Kalgoorlie, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First, be absolutely sure it is clean. This may mean spending a day or two cleaning with (alternately) a good powder solvent, and a good copper solvent like Barnes' CR-10. I can't stress this enough. Quite often, fouling can acumulate to the point that it takes extraordinary measures to remove, despite routine periodical cleaning.
Then, if you're sure it is clean, you may want to experiment with seating the bullets farther out. I'm just guessing, but you may have a somewhat eroded throat. This will require the bullets to be seated out, to "chase" the leade. This has worked for me, in numerous instances.

Posts: 353 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 22 January 2003Reply With Quote