New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trail Boss in 44 Rem out of Marlin 20" cowboy
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I loaded 10 rounds using 6 grains of trail boss under a 250 gr cast RN. The cornograph was not working correctly so i couldnt measure velocity. Case insepection came out clear and 6" plates at 30 and 40 yds were hit easily. Any recomendations for loads using trail boss or 2400 for this rifle and bullet?

Speak softly and carry a big stick, and you will go far. -- Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 108 | Location: Panhandle of Texas | Registered: 20 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
6 grains of trailboss is the cowboy action shooters choice. Probably shoots accurately?
For 2400-- which is all I use for a 44 magnum hunting load. I use Elmer Keiths load of 21 grains of 2400 with a standard large pistol primer with a 230/250 grain keith style wadcutter. An xtp works with this load too.

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
ConfusedIs there a reason up to 12 grains of Trail Boss isn't used?roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess if you used the "dip and seat" method! im pretty sure that would run over onto the bench!

Speak softly and carry a big stick, and you will go far. -- Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 108 | Location: Panhandle of Texas | Registered: 20 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trial Boss loading direct from the horse's mouth:

http://www.imrpowder.com/PDF/Trail-Boss-data.pdf

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
ConfusedIs there a reason up to 12 grains of Trail Boss isn't used?roger

generally because SASS shooters want zero recoil to shoot fast. 6 grains makes minimum power factor.

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote