New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ball Powder
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
In lazy moments, wish that all cartridges could be loaded to near maximum velocities with acceptable accuracy (or was that optimum accuracy with acceptable velocity?) with ball powders so as to eliminate weighing charges. What category of rifle cartridges are least likely to be loaded satisfactory with ball powders ?

Most loading done on a Dillons.

Hammer

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Hammer

I haven't had any luck with loading ball powders in the Dillon press. It jams their powder measure up.

Posts: 1632 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Hammer et al:

My first experience with ball powder was with a Lee powder measure. This cheap little piece of plastic is one of the most consistent powder measures I've used, but doesn't much like fine ball powders. What happens is the powder gets between the drum and the frame -- they call it "powder migration" -- and binds. If you adjust the spacing of the drum tight enough to eliminate the migration, it is too hard to turn.

My solution, because I use ball powders whenever possible -- loading .223, .243, .22-250 with BL-C(2), W748, W760 -- was to get a Redding 3-BR powder measure. This is the finest quality piece of equipment you can get. The accuracy and consistency of this, with all powders, is amazing.

As for cartridges that cannot be loaded successfully with ball powders, I would guess only the largest magnums would be in that class. Anything from .222 to the mid-range magnums will all work well with ball.

Posts: 42 | Location: Lyndon, VT | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote