THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Looking for your favorite Loading data for the 358 Norma Magnum

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for your favorite Loading data for the 358 Norma Magnum
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently acquired a 358 NM and wanted to ask for some favorite loadings with 225 gr and 250 gr bullets. Thank you in advance for any and all help.

Posts: 97 | Location: Virginia  | Registered: 27 September 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nobody qant a Norma Mag, skip the reliading and just sell it to me! Optik1

Posts: 375 | Location: linwood Michigan | Registered: 07 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, if nobody has one then I may just have to put it out on the curb lol

One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
My father had a 35 Ackley Magnum (No. 2) built for him by Mr. Ackley about 1950. This is pretty much identical to the 358 Norma Mag, introduced in the late 50s. The reloading data was from P.O. Ackley, and here is the table, as best I can copy and paste.

My father's favorite elk load was a 250 grain bullet and 62 grains of IMR 4350. Ackley's data indicates 63 grains as max. Sorry but I don't recall the bullet maker, though I''m guessing Nosler partition.

35 Ackley Magnum Reloading Data
Bullet (grs.) Powder / (grs.) MV ME Source
200 SP IMR3031 / 64.0 3130 4365 P.O. Ackley
220 SP IMR4064 / 76.0 3040 4540 P.O. Ackley
250 SP IMR4350 / 63.0 2750 4210 P.O. Ackley
275 SP IMR4895 / 69.0 2760 4665 P.O. Ackley
300 SP IMR4350 / 73.0 2655 4710 P.O. Ackley

Posts: 742 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much for passing along this information sir.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had a couple 358 Normas and the throats were quite different. The longer throated rifle would handle several grs more powder as a max load. Also what cases are you using ? Older Norma cases were softer and you could loosen up primer pockets. I find newer cases to be harder. As are cases made from Win or Rem brass. The 225 Barnes TSX is a useful bullet and my rifle will take 76 grs of Rl 19 as a near max and accurate load. That load is an elk killer.With 250 gr bullets IMR is consistant with 73-74 grs being accurate and near max in my rifle. Start several grs below and work up. RL17 is likely a very good powder if you can find it. Hope that helps

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok great- thank you for that info. I have all older Norma cases, but I do have a lot of them. The Swift manual is showing 61.5-66 gr of RL15, and 70-75 gr of RL19 (I have both of these powders) so I should be able to work out a load.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MDO:
Ok great- thank you for that info. I have all older Norma cases, but I do have a lot of them. The Swift manual is showing 61.5-66 gr of RL15, and 70-75 gr of RL19 (I have both of these powders) so I should be able to work out a load.

That’s using a 250 gr bullet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tested RL16 in the 358 Norma Mag. Here are the results.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...871050532#5871050532

Jim

Posts: 550 | Location: Winter, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 19 December 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Just noticed this post. I have had three of them and my current one is on a 1903 Springfield action. I have had good results with 225-grain Barnes-X bullets pushed by 73 grains of IMR 4350. I also have shot 250-grain Norma Oryx bullets with 70 grains of IMR 4350. If you check the Nosler manual you will find that these are both middle of the road loads. I have not found my .358 Norma rifles to be particularly picky about loads.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3832 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for that information

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forgot about this post. Are you ready to sell me your 358 norma? I am a serious buyer. Thanks, Optik1

Posts: 375 | Location: linwood Michigan | Registered: 07 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No sir, not ready to let it go just yet. Haven’t had the time to spend shooting it yet. Maybe one day though

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
This will piss everyone off, but it never ceases to amaze me that guys will take loads from other guys, for rifles totally unlike their own, and think that is a good thing. It isn't. Each rifle is different and loads must be worked up for them. Which I really hope is happening.
I've seen bad things happen....

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
This will piss everyone off, but it never ceases to amaze me that guys will take loads from other guys, for rifles totally unlike their own, and think that is a good thing. It isn't. Each rifle is different and loads must be worked up for them. Which I really hope is happening.
I've seen bad things happen....

I agree. The information that I passed on was information only. Giving a bullet weight and a powder as a place to start. I would hope everyone on this site is knowledgeable enough to take a load from someone and start 4 or 5 grs BELOW and work up carefully

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote