New
Find
Notify
Tools

BEST ACCURACY WITH A BALLISTIC TIP?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Im using a 165 gr ballistic tip in my .308. accuracy is good .75 inch with most powder charges 42 grs to 45 grs of imr 4064. Can trying a different powder (like RE 15,VARGET)
give better accuracy?, or do bullets just like certain velocties with any of the good rifle powders. Should i try a different powder before a different bullet? Its a heavy barreled win 70 and .75 inch group isnt accurate enough.
thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Can trying a different powder (like RE 15,VARGET)
give better accuracy?,

Should i try a different powder before a different bullet?

I'd definitely try a different powder if .75 MOA isn't up to your expectations. The Ballistic Tip is capable of outstanding accuracy. A different powder may just tweak a little more out of it for you.

FWIW, I use Varget behind a 140 gr BT in my 7mm-08, and it shoots GREAT. Give it a try.

BTW, you say that .75 MOA "isn't accurate enough". Do you have a better load (bullet, powder, etc) that you KNOW shoots better (that you are using as a benchmark), or are you just expecting/hoping for better accuracy in general?

one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
From my experience with Ballistic Tips, they're every bit as accurate as my MKs, in my 7mm08 anyway, 4064 is a very good powder for that bullet, RE15 and Varget may give better accuracy, seating depth may give you better results also, you might want to try a 168MK, 175MK or 178AMAX, with some RE15, buddies 700P Rem. 308 shoots very well with the 168MK and 42grs. RE15, helps that he's got an 8oz trigger, too. But nonetheless, that's a very good load in that rifle, and happens to be the accuracy load in the Sierra manual, around 41grs RE15 with the 175MK and 178AMAX would also be a great place to start, yeah, I guess powder may have alot to do with it, found that out yesterday with my 223, Benchmark maybe on it's way out and RE7 on it's way in, at least in the hotter conditions. Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
Gary, 39.5grs. of Varget and 150BTs shoot very well in my 708, too. shot a 1&9/16" 3 shot group @300yds. yesterday, shoots in the 4s at 100, not too shabby. Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Every rifle/bullet/powder combo is different. A change in powder or bullet, seating depth even primers can dramaticly change the accuracy. The only way to know is experiment.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Every rifle/bullet/powder combo is different. A change in powder or bullet, seating depth even primers can dramaticly change the accuracy. The only way to know is experiment.

Thats as good an answer as is possible.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, you can try other powders and it may help, but 4064 is a classic accuracy powder for the .308, and you may not better it.

You don't state what your rifle is, nor what you want to do with the load. Is it a hunting load, or is it a target load? Many barrels are fussy about just which bullet you shoot and how deeply it is seated in the case. Try Nosler's look-alike bullet for the 168 gr Sierra MK, if you are after target precision.

Switching powders can be productive, I have even had good luck with H-414 and magnum primers near max. That, in more than one .308. Work your way up, as usual.

IMR/H4895s are favorite target powders, too, although 4064 usually gives slightly smaller groups. The 4895s meter easier and are a little more popular.

Fussy barrels might even dictate a 175 or 178 grain match bullet. They are a little better at 1000 yards, anyway. For years, the match ammo for the military was loaded with a 172/173 grain boattail bullet that was an adaptation of the 172/173 grain machinegun bullet, because of the long range performance. I have forgotten the exact sequence of the numbers, but it isn't important. The Sierra 175 grain MK is a take-off on that strategy. We formerly shot 180 grain or 190 grain MK bullets at long ranges, but that is no longer needed. Both the .30-'06 and the .308 shot the things rather well. The big boys, with their .30 magnums are much enamored of the 190 grain MKs and up.

Posts: 305 | Location: Indian Territory | Registered: 21 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My rifle shoots 168 grain matchkings .5 inch but I need a bullet for pigs. thats why I choose the ballistic tips. I was just hoping to find a sweet spot with the imr 4064. but no goups really stuck out.I also have 150 gr and 125 gr ballistic tips ill try those also. plus i got varget, re 15 will try those too.My gun is a Winchester Stealth (heavy barrel)mod 70 in .308. magazine prevents me from runnin the bullets close to the lands so bullet depth is outa the question.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Perusing my load notes, I see that Re-15 has done the best overall in the accuracy department in various .308 WCF rifles when Ballistic Tips were the projectiles of choice. 45 grains of Re-15 & a 150 grain BT gives 0.5 to 0.6 MOA in a Savage 10FP and is relatively mild. 44 grains of Re-15 under the 165 grain BT is a tack-driver and has proven its worth in several different .308s over the last few years.

One of my all-time favorite .308 WCF loads features the Sierra 150 grain Pro-Hunter spitzer atop 45 grains of Re-15. I've used it for some time now, and it's a terrific medium-game load out to normal hunting ranges. It may not fly quite as flat as the BTs, but it has always done a superb job for me. And while I don't think it's the best choice for a hog hunting load (I prefer a tougher bullet with higher SD), I used this load in a 20" Savage FP a couple of months ago to take a 325 boar at app. 185 yards. The shot was slightly quartering, took out a portion of the liver, wrecked the lungs and lodged in the opposite-side shoulder. The hog traveled less than 20 yards before giving up the ghost.

But your 0.75" load is nothing to sneeze at. After all, that's more accuracy than most hunters can get from field shooting positions anyway.

Posts: 9379 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote