New
Find
Notify
Tools

Speer 225 grain 8mm Bullets?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just bought a box of these bullets for use in my 8mm-06 improved (Hawk) and was wondering if anyone has any experience with them. I'm thinking they will be a good elk bullet. They are a roundnose bullet.

Posts: 60 | Location: Maupin | Registered: 15 May 2002Reply With Quote
<pondercat>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Redside:
I just bought a box of these bullets for use in my 8mm-06 improved (Hawk) and was wondering if anyone has any experience with them. I'm thinking they will be a good elk bullet. They are a roundnose bullet.

I used them about 13 years ago in my 8X57 mauser. I got pretty decent accuracy with them with IMR 4350 powder at 2450 fps. Groups were between one and one and a half inches at 110 yards and opened to three and a half inches at 250 yards. I eventually settled on using the Sierra 220 gr SPBT for slightly better accuracy at higher velocity and a flatter trajectory from my rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was not aware of Speer manufacturing a 225 grainer in 8mm. Is it a new item?
Thanks
montero

Posts: 874 | Location: Madrid-Spain | Registered: 03 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure these are old bullets by the look of the box. It is a much older looking paper box versus the plastic box speer uses now. Guess I'll try them for the fun of it.

Posts: 60 | Location: Maupin | Registered: 15 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
Redside: I used some of the long-discontinued 8mm 225 Speers several years ago in an 8x57 on elk and I was not impressed by the performance, they're much too soft. Broadside shots hitting no bones would not make exit, and hits on big bones like neck or shoulder would not penetrate. My recommendation for heavy 8mms would be either the 220 Hornady or (expensive) 220 or 250 Woodleighs.

Posts: 970 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote