New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bad Karma, Man
 Login/Join

<GAHUNTER>
posted
Seems to me that there is a lot of nastiness going around on this forum, especially toward new reloaders. So much so that even I am now "gun shy" (pun intended) about posting here. In the future, I'll ask most of my stupid questions on the Africa or Big Bore forums, even reloading questions, just to avoid what I'm seeing here.

As far as I am concerned, there are no "stupid" questions when it comes to reloading.

<Zeke>
posted
Most of the folks here are pretty nice and helpful. I got more useful information from this site than anywhere else. There are a very few that seem to get off on spouting venom. Those a**holes I ignore. For every crappy response there are a thousand useful answers. Don't judge these forms by the inane, juvenile behaviours of a few.

ZM

<Eric>
posted
GAHUNTER,

Be happy to answer what I might. Feel free to drop me a line.

Regards, Eric [Big Grin]

http://sandygunworks.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Most folks here are very helpful. The problem is, it seems, that once per week a new member is asking what type of press they should buy.

Not that this is bad, but people do get frustrated when the same question pops up over and over. A worse consequence is that people may just skip over posts from new members. I always look at posts from handles I've not seen before, but some members do not when the topic has been covered many times.

I would suggest that if someone gets mad, instead of writing a nasty post, inform the new folks that the topic has been covered and to use the search function.

Ryan

Posts: 425 | Location: Minnesota, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most of the unpleasantness stems from poor posting and rudeness.

Poor posting is a vague and unspecific topic title. Things such as:

What's this?
I don't believe it!
This ticks me off!

I usually skip topics that give me no hint of its content, though I obviously made an exception to this one (I thought "Bad Kharma" might be a safety issue).

A poster should be specific in the topic title out of consideration for those who are not interested in the subject matter or have nothing to add to the subject, thereby saving them the trouble of opening a thread pointlessly.

Speaking of nothing to add to the matter brings me to point #2. I feel it is rude to offer criticism or comment if it adds nothing to the body of knowledge. It is aggravating to ask a serious question only to draw a bunch of asinine or flippant responses.

Wisecracks are great but at least follow them with substantive information on the topic.

It astonishes me that as busy as life is people will waste their own time needlessly deriding others for posting a subject that has been "done to death".

If a reader is tired of hearing about "which press to buy, etc." then let him/her move on without comment.

Don't stop posting.

Posts: 612 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
While I too detest nastiness, there are some posts, that lead one to believe the poster is simply too lazy to get ahold of easily available information, information that person will have in the reloading manuals they need to safely load ammo. If that person is too lazy to read those manuals, then I would be concerned about that person re-loading ammo.

On the other hand, there are much better ways to approach those folks then, read the darn book you lazy SOB. Perhaps something along the lines of, your question isn't specific enough, give us more information about your application.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
I WOULD ON A NORMAL BASIS NOT POST TO A THREAD WHERE SOMEONE IS BEING BASHED.
That said, lets not forget who we are. we are shooters, handloader, hunters, collectors,etc. and sometime a**holes!
I am on this website every day it is my home page. Some time all I do is read the post that interest me some time i post a reply..
next time you sign on these pages stop and read the intro . hope this help and may make a little sense.

""This site was started by a group of shooters, whose interests include hunting, target shooting and plain plinking. The idea was to share what we have learned from hunting, reloading, gunsmithing and any other shooting related ideas. We are not affiliated to any company involved in the shooting and hunting sports. So what you will find here are our actual experiences, good or bad. If you have any interesting ideas, or if you have come across anything you think might be of interest to other fellow shooters, please consider sharing it with us, we would love to hear from you.""
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
<green 788>
posted
I can't seem to resist the exchange of information that we have at forums like this one. I have in the past left some websites due to asinine comments from some members, but I probably shouldn't have let them run me off.

After making the rounds of many of the available shooting forums, I've sort of decided to hang my hat here, pretty much exclusively for the foreseeable future. There are a lot of interesting folks to corrospond with here, and I think those folks make overlooking the troublemakers a bit easier to do.

No matter what shooting forum you go to, you're going to find folks who enjoy insulting someone more than hitting what they're shooting at! Forums such as this one have given many men who can't safely practice authoritativeness in thier own homes somewhere to vent their frustrations.

As I said, though, I like it here so far. I've frequented a couple of "sniper" websites in the past simply to share information with knowledgable long range shooters, my main passion. Those sites have as of late become clogged with children (both literal and figurative varieties) and knowledgeable folks can't seem to be heard over the cacophony of the know-it-alls. Searching for useful information under such circumstances is like panning for pennies in a sewer [Frown] ...

So if you think it's bad here, just look around a bit! [Big Grin]

I will happily share exchanges with anyone up to the point where that individual mounts a soapbox and vehemently asserts something that I've proven to myself isn't the case. It then becomes apparent that the exchange of information with that individual has gone as far as it can productivly go.

I think the polite way to dissent from a person's advice or comment is to simply post your own point of view, being careful to mention that that is *your* point of view. Then other observers of the thread can come to their own conclusions as to who is right.

Y'all take care,

Dan Newberry
green 788

one of us
posted Hide Post
What about the questions that deal with everchanging data. It seems that everyday something new comes out and not any one of us can keep track of all of it . That is where many of the " tell me your opinion" questions come from . I also know that , speaking for myself, my opinions change as I experience different things read and reread alot of these topics that have been asked before. Then when you think you have it all figured out ricciardelli comes out with new data that totally changes things again. I guess my point to these ramblings is that you can choose to skip topics if you dont feel they will offer you anything easy enough , or you can read them again and possibly learn something new. We were all new at one time( I still am ) and being new sometimes we dont know how to do anything BUT ask that same old question.All that said , I still like it here and hopefully wont wear out my welcome with dumb questions.

Posts: 129 | Location: colorado | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
<Hellrazor>
posted
Alright guys.. remember the idea is to try to teach others how to safely do things. Sarcasm is one thing, being a moron is another.

Joe user asks how to work with a 25-06 and someone will explain how a 416 is a much better cartridge = MORON

Nothing is more annoying then people who swallow the good ole 'ya gotta buy a magnum' pill every morning.

Same goes for the people who scream product xyz is a pile of crap and slam anyone who uses it. Better idea... explain why its crap. We are not psychic.

I wonder how many people have this attitude in public and alienate people who want to learn more about guns.

If you are at the range shooting say.. a muzzleloader and Joe User next to you asks you why you are doing something a certain way, do you tell him to piss off or explain to him why? Or see he is doing something that can be dangerous.. let it alone or explain it?

soap box mode off...

one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
GAHUNTER -

Don't forget that AR is an open Bulletin Board, accessible by, what, 6 billion people worldwide, so, if even ten of them are TOTAL idiots, that still leaves a LOT of us who just love to share ideas [Smile] [Smile]

Ask anything you want. If somebody wants to show how stupid and immature he is in a response, ignore that post and wait for the good guys in here to get the data you need.

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
<pshooter>
posted
I'm here now guys so feel free to talk about me. Forum leader , and you only, in the future I will make my posts more specific as I know now that that's the rule. But to me...if you limit your question, you limit your answers. Any of you guys (and you know who I'm talking to) know how to build a fine piece of furniture? You DON'T ? how can you be so stupid ? Why are you using my oxygen? Sorry, I just had to poke a'bit. I still don't think my question or approach was stupid..I got the answers I was looking for. Thanks to all of you that gave the vote of confidense. This is a great site and I allways learn alot.

GAHUNTER, Probably seen you at some of the shows! Private message me and we'll talk. mvm

[ 07-27-2002, 20:53: Message edited by: pshooter ]