New
Find
Notify
Tools

Press advice
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am getting ready to purchase a press for reloading everything from 308 to 30-06 to 375 H&H and I have narrowed my list of single stage presses down to three: RCBS Amomaster, RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme, and Redding Ultramag.

The cost issue is not a problem and I will be reloading around 150-250 rounds (of each caliber) at a time, but may reload more than 250 if needed at a time.

Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
For your stated needs, they're all good presses. But if you plan to load bigger rounds than the 375 H&H, get the bigger press and ask, no demand, for a package deal so you don't have to buy your needed accessories piecemeal. Once you get the whole kit-n-kaboodle, you're set

one of us
posted Hide Post
all three are good choices, i use a bonanza co-ax press, once a die is adjusted and lock ring set the die slips in and out of press; i am some what mechanically challenged and it loads excelent ammo for me, please consider it as well.

Posts: 107 | Location: alabama | Registered: 18 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would recomend you look at the Forester Co-Ax it is one great press. No shell plates to deal with & set up takes secends. Change calabers in seconds. That said all the press you listed will work fine. Look at Foresters web sight I think you will be impressed. I love mine.

Posts: 132 | Location: western New York | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On the co-ax presses, are they as precise or better as single stage presses?

Thanks,

Robert

one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
Much better.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I recommend the Redding Boss or Ultramag for a single stage press. Dillon for Progressive. I have used both RCBS and Redding presses and reloading equipment and although I like both, I would place the Redding a little higher in quality and function than the RCBS. You will load great ammo on any one of the presses you have to choose from.

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm a big Redding fan. Everything I've ever purchased from them, from dies, presses, weigh scales
to powder dispensers and trimmers has been excellent and long lasting. I have an RCBS Rockchuker
but don't use it too often. There's nothing wrong with it. It's quite good. I just find that
Redding is a cut above the rest. Mind you this is just one man's opinion. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can someone give the pro and con really quick for a coax vs a typical single stage (Rockchucker)? I am pretty much about ready to make the exact same purchase, and have been looking over stuff.

Also, are dies interchangeable or can RCBS dies only work in RCBS presses, Lee in Lee, Lyman in Lyman, etc. This is important to me as I will probably need a set in 8x57 (not too hard to find) and 9.3x62.

Posts: 510 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 27 August 2002Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Crazy,

First off, anymore all dies are interchangeable in that they use a 7/8" X 14 thread, so lee dies screw into a Lyman or Redding, etc. The Forster/Bonanza co-ax press has the lock ring slip into a holder, so if you use that press you need to buy some of their lock rings for any other brand of dies, however they don't cost that much. To offset that cost the co-ax does not use a snap-in shellholder, so you don't have to buy one for each different rim you load for.

Now for differences, the co-ax is reputed to load better (more concentric) ammo. I'm not an expert since I'm not a bench rest shooter and you will have to make a lot of other improvements before the design will have any measureable difference IMHO, but hopefully a bench rester here can answer more for you. I do like the massiveness of the rockchucker for resizing, I have a Dillon that I prefer for quantities of 50 or more.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would get the RCBS Ammomaster as it has the most room to load the big English rounds like the 470, 577, 600 and even the 50 BMG....It has a 7/8x14 adapter that comes with the press..Not ALL calibers use a 7/8x14 die...I have a single stage Ammomaster and an old Hollywood press...I load the big stuff on the RCBS and the 06 type stuff on the Hollywood tool....More and more I use the ammomaster as it has so much working room and its really handloader friendly.

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote