New
Find
Notify
Tools

primer burn rate
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
does anyone know the burn rates of primers in the large rifle category. specifically, does the Winchester Large Rifle primer burn hotter than the Federal 210, does it have the same burn rate, or does the Federal 210 burn hotter than the Winchester Large Rifle primer? Thanks for your input. Tom Purdom

Posts: 499 | Location: Eudora, Ks. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Here is a table I found. http://www.reloadingroom.com/page35.html
Informal testing using my chronograph shows it varies a bit from caliber to caliber, based on an increase in vel. readings. beer

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not intending to stir the pot but I don't think "burn rate" quite describes what happens with a primer. I was always led to believe a primer has two characteristics. "Brissance" is the explosive effect the primer has and the "burn time" is the length of time the primer burns. A long burn time is considered a good thing. Brissance is not. How the two combine may be what we call burn rate. Part of the reason it is difficult to compare primers is combination of those two characteristics.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, I'll stir the pot. Primers don't burn, they detonate. Two completely different physical reactions.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote