Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

looking for Subsonic 308 loadings
 Login/Join

posted
I'm trying to find subsonic loadings for 308 caliber. Can anyone please advise... much appreciated....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If anything will give you subsonic in a 308, it will probably be Trail Boss.

http://www.imrpowder.com/PDF/Trail-Boss-data.pdf

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that link...I was hoping to find a loadings with heavier bullets then 150 gr.

posted Hide Post
I just got through trying some of these out this past weekend. Using trail boss powder only, Nosler 1x brass, and BR2 primers. All bullets loaded to 2.810" OAL

Noticed some substantial differences in bullet speed between bullets of the same weight but different manufacture. My rifle is a 21" rem 700 with a 1:10.75 twist Hart barrel on it.

Best acccuracy was with 180 Sierra Game King and 10.6 gr of trail boss. Average velocity was 1045fps with an ES of 30fps. Worked down to 10.0 gr was at 970fps and decided that was too slow, plus noticed some wobbling from the holes in the paper at 25yds.

10.0 gr of trail boss with a 180 Nosler Ballistic tip yielded only 740fps and really suprised me.

10.0 gr of trail boss with a 168 AMAX showed good potential as well, but like the BC of the 180 game king better.

Remember to start high and work low, probably 11.0 gr being a good starting point. Check each shot to make sure it impacted paper and didn't get stuck in the barrel. If you're going to shoot with a suppressor later, check to make sure they aren't keyholing/wobbling without the suppressor first.

Good luck. Way too much fun shooting these.

Posts: 18 | Location: Georgetown, TX | Registered: 06 August 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks Trojan 6....I'm going to try working up some loads. I found some pet loads for my Rem 700 5R 20" 11.25 twist in 168 gr Berger VLD and 168 Sierra BTHP that work for me however I plan using a AAC 762SDN6 can and looking for good results as well....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Be careful with subsonic jacketed in .308 Win. It's better to go a bit above subsonic (velocity wise) than get a jacketed bullet stuck in the barrel.

I've found it's better to go subsonic in the .308 Win with plain based lead bullets.

Strom, with that can, I'd recommend a faster burning powder with less bulk than Trail Boss. You want a powder that produces pressure earlier down the barrel before it hits the can.

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Da Man, Thanks for the heads up. It's all a learning process and I realize as a newbie I have my research cut out for me. Nothing wrong in asking questions, better safe then sorry.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hodgdon thinks that subsonic loads are just fine in the .308 WCF. Here are two loads listed on the Hodgdon site:

168 GR. SIE HPBT....2.800" oal...8.0/Titegroup....1080 fps....25,000 CUP
168 GR. SIE HPBT....2.800" oal...8.0/Clays..........1060 fps....26,800 CUP

Do NOT reduce.

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks TX Nimrod, Can you send me that link?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to take exception with post that warns of jacketed rounds getting stuck- I routinely use 220 and 240 gr Sierra HP BT subsonic and suppressed. Granted not specifically a .308 Win. but a 300 - 221 aka 300 Whisper aka 300 BLK but a 308 jacketed round nonetheless.

I have found that fast burning pistol powder is the ticket- my go to load in the Whisper is 8.5gr. LilGun under a 220 gr. HPBT for 1050fps out of a 16 1/2" barrel-bolt action. YMMV.
Be careful of small loadings in a much larger case- I have NO recommendations based on personal experience in the 308 Win.

Gary

posted Hide Post
Thanks Gary.....THE INFO THAT TX NIMROD posted regarding Hodgdon powder seems safe but does Hodgdon recommend this loading for can use? I'm going to check with their techs and see if they can inform me regarding the use of such loadings with a suppressor...

posted Hide Post
Regarding those two loadings from Hodgdon, I checked that info out with a tech at Hodgdon and he told me those two loadings work just fine with the can I intend to use. He also said he preferred Titegroup overr Clays...works for him....

Bid wheel keeps on turning............