New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cast bullet load for 308 Win?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I want to shoot some lever action only silouette out to 200 yards but I only have a Savage Model 99. Everyone else is shooting a cowboy type lever action. I am trying to convince them to let me shoot the 308 in the Savage with cast bullets. I don't want to compete for placing, I just want to shoot the match. Can anybody recommend a cast bullet load that would meet these parameters. I don't want to make my own bullets. I have been reloading for 12 years and I reload 9 different calibers so I have some experience but have only loaded cast bullets in 9mm and 38/357. I also realize that each rifle is a law unto itself so I am looking for general ideas as to where to start. I figured on this forum there is so much experience that I could save myself some headaches by just asking. Thanks in advance. One other thing, should I have posted this on the cast bullet area or the lever action area instead of here?

Posts: 98 | Location: Eagle, Idaho | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
depending on the boolits you get there will be different loads that will work best.
if you try a plain base get a flat square one and get it sized to 310 and the nose at 301.
now you cannot push this very hard.
and you want the base of the boolit no deeper than the neck.
so finding one with a short body, a flat nose, and the correct size will be your first consideration.
without a gas check i'd go with 8 grs unique.
and a either a pistol primer or rifle [try both]
if you can find the rcbs 165 silhouette boolit
with a gas check.
go with 16-17 grs of 2400 and a win l pistol primer.

either way the nose and body diameter is important, and not going below the neck/shoulder junction is also.

Posts: 4989 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here, our ordonance rifle shooters use routinly reduced loads with Vihta N110, for both lead bullets and for jacketed and for both, ptactice as well as competition.

Both Vihta as well as the lead bullet manufacturer H&N publish data.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote