New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester V Norma Brass???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The latest Sinclair catolog lists Winchester 270 WSM brass for $34.00 versus Norma 270 WSM for $54.00.

Is Norma brass that much better?

Since I am gearing up my new 270 WSM, would it pay to get the Norma brass?

Will Norma brass allow more trips through my reloading tool?

Is it more accurate?

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RogerK;
I personally don't have any experience with Norma brass but I hardly think that it is worth the extra money for the hunter or casual target shooter. Only a BR shooter with a custom rifle would gain an advantage if any.
Winchester brass has outperformed any other brass for me, some have been loaded 20 times and still counting. [Smile] [Cool]

P.S. That extra money would be better spent on high quality dies.

[ 04-02-2003, 22:24: Message edited by: Marsh Mule ]

Posts: 588 | Location: Central Valley | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
RogerK

What you pay extra for with NORMA is consistent brass that have a high quality than Winchester. NORMA cases often have greater powder capacity than american brass.

/ JOHAN

one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
The neatest thing about Norma brass it that it is surprisingly uniform, even among different lots. As a matter of choice I use 358 Norma brass to size to 338 Win Mag. I've bought that brass years apart and it all weighs 220g, which is about 17g lighter than the typical Rem or Winchester case. They also last way beyond the average life of our domestic brass. Yes, the price is worth it.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
No need to "deburr" the flash holes on Norma brass either. They are drilled, not "punched"

Ditto on the greater case capacity and uniformity also.

If you are the type that "deburrs" weighs cases etc. the Norma brass is worth the extra $$$ as it virtually eliminates all of this extra effort.

I have also found that Norma brass is closer to S.A.A.M.I. dimension specs. reducing the unsightly bulge ahead of the case head web.

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger;
Sent you a PM.
Good luck.

Posts: 588 | Location: Central Valley | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote