Find
Notify
Tools

Minimum Seating Depth and Bullet Diameter
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted
I have always heard that at least 90% of the bullet diameter should be seated in to the neck of the case; for example, .308 bullet diameter should have at least .2772 of the bullet seated in the neck...when it comes to boattails...do you start at the base or is it .2772 of the shank at full bullet diameter.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I seat with the bullet shank contact one caliber deep in the case, or more if possible. The purpose for the minimum I believe is to insure enought neck tension to properly hold the bullet and insure it stays straight in the case dureing handling.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is this ammo for hunting or target (Match) shooting?

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I'd be interested in your opinion on both...

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
I have always heard that at least 90% of the bullet diameter should be seated in to the neck of the case;

What you should have heard is that 90% of the bullet's diameter should be in contact with the neck, ie, bearing surface.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I'm go w/ 100% bullet dia. as measured by the bullet shank or bearing surface. When you get to 7mm and under, 90% seems alittle short.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Mike, Years ago the "at least 1-caliber of Bullet in the Case Neck" got started when folks were shooting things like 270Win, 7x57mm, 30-30, 30-40Krag, and manufacturing tolerances were a bit looser.

Today, if you look at some cartridges which you typically see people mention as being able to get good accuracy with little effort, there isn't 1-caliber of Case Neck available to start with - 223Rem, 243Rem, 308Win, 300WinMag, 375H7H, etc.
---

So, that gets us back to your question and I think Ol'Joe said basically what I was thinking when I read your post, "to insure enough neck tension to properly hold the bullet and insure it stays straight in the case during handling."

On cartridges that I intend to use on Paper and where I'm trying to achieve the absolute best accuracy possible(to see who buys the BBQ Loads), I normally "try" to Seat the Bullet I'm using 0.005"-0.010" Into-the-Lands and of course I've P-FLRed the cases so the CenterLine of the Case and the CenterLine of the Chamber are is as close to a perfect alignment as I can get it.

Don't know how much of the Bullet is in the Case Neck, I could go look it up, but it really doesn't matter. And of course that Grip Length would vary with the Throat, the specific Bullet being used and the Cartridge dimensions.
---

Though it is not normal for me to Seat a Hunting Bullet way out, I found that is just what I was doing with 120gr and 130gr Bullets in my 7mm-08. Needless to say, the Flat Base Bullets had more Bullet Shank inside the Case Neck than the Boattail versions. And without going to look in the Load Data Sheets, I beleive some of the Boattails only have either 0.15" or 0.16" Case Neck grip on the Shank.

This came up a few years back when I had mentioned how well I like the 130gr Speers in my 7mm-08(both Hot-Cor and Boattail). A guy bought a box of the Boattails and mentioned there wasn't much in the Case when Seated just off the Lands. That is when I looked at my Data real close.

What I found was that even with that small amount of Grip, if I held the case in my Left hand and the Seated Bullet in my Right fingers, I could not pull it "straight out". And they shoot right well in my rifle.

Once I reload a Cartridge it goes into some kind of shell holder, then into the rifle and back out into the shell holder. I don't carry loose Cartridges in my pocket, so it just needs to stay square in the Case during Chambering and Ejecting. In a different "Caliber" that might not be enough Grip at all though.
---

And to mess things up even more, occasionally a particular Bullet likes to be Crimped. And I always Crimp into a Cannelure, so the amount of Bullet inside the Case Neck is determined by the Cannelure placement.

Just measured the Canelure to Bullet Base on a 145gr 7mm Grand Slam and it was 0.350". So, if I "Crimped" it in either my 7mm-08 or the 7mmRemMag, the Bullet Base would extend into the Case past the beginning of the Case Neck.

But a 35cal 150gr Rem PSP has the Cannelure 0.250" from the Bullet Base and I do Crimp into it for my 350RemMag. Reason being if I seat it out "close to" the Lands, it won't even be in the case. It has to jump 0.264"(I think) to reach the Lands, but is amazingly accurate.

The Case Neck length on that 350RemMag is 0.334" and with the 150gr Rem "Crimped" in place, only 0.250" is in the Neck - 75% Case Neck Grip.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote