New
Find
Notify
Tools

Failsafe/moly bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Read thread few day's ago about moly bullets.
It seem moly needs some 20 bullets through the barrel before it shows it's effects.
The Question is :If I want to use Failafe or any other premiem moly (read expensive) bullet I need to use about 100 bullets to season the bore and develop a load.
After that I use the gun only for moly bullets or after every chance shoot an other $25 worth of bullets to season it again??

I like the Failafe concept (no lead exposed) but I that is to costly for me.
What do you think?

Regards Martin

Posts: 328 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps all that is important to the target shooters, but for a hunting rifle it has not seemed necessary for me. I go back and forth from standard jacketed bullets to Failsafes without any problem. The Failsafes are spectacular performers on game.

Posts: 283 | Location: Florida | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
Martin - When FailSafes were coated with Lubalox, switching back to naked bullets was no big deal. Now that they are using moly like the rest of the Combined Technology bullets, using and switching becomes more problematic. Fortunately, Nosler solved this problem with their Partition Golds by offering them in both coated and non-coated.

I have used the non-coated NP Golds with great results in the field. There is not a significant difference between the Golds and FS. Nosler has not announced if they will offer a non-coated FS, however, since you can get non-coated Golds, I would recommend them.

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Martin;
I copied this post by {KentuckyNimrod} from another thread about MOLY. Read it and follow the link given, everything stated is right-on the-money! Hope you don't mind "KentuckyNimrod?
[Wink]
Well...the whole point of molycoating is to reduce friction and eliminate fouling. This is only accomplished if there is a coat of moly covering the entire barrel surface BEFORE the first bullet goes down the tube. You can't accomplish this by simply firing moly coated bullets because the first couple of bullets will lose their coating early in the bore and deposit copper later down the bore. Subsequent firings will leave a layer of moly further down the barrel but also serve to coat over the copper fouling left from earlier firings.
The best article I've read on moly can be found at: http://www.jarheadtop.com/books.shtml scroll to the book titled "Care Cleaning and Sportsmanship" and click on sample chapter 4. It explains all about conditioning your bore. BTW, stay away from all Moly except Laboratory Grade moly... Contrary to some of the posts on this board lab grade moly IS NOT hygroscopic nor does it contain anything that would create acid or corrosive effects on a bore. Again, read the article and stay away from automotive lubes with moly or any other moly based product unless you have a MSDS that fully outlines its contents...

Posts: 588 | Location: Central Valley | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the repl. guy's

KLN;I do however notice that the groups get smaller the more I shoot.

Zero Dr:I am somewhat confused,I have a box of FS and they are moly, to day I send a Email to Winch. and they tell me the FS are Lubalox coated.I then called my gunshop (300 miles from here) they tell me Moly but maybe the next shipment the new Lubalox bullets??
I would be OK with the Nosler if it was not for the exposed lead at the tip,I use these bullets in my Weatherby's and they flatten the tips so much.

March M:You see the whole moly thing I think may have some merit to the high volume varmint shooter but I don't know if it is the thing for me.
I like the best bullet posible for my hunting but since I don't have my guns soly for hunting I like to have a second cheap cartridge just to enjoy to shoot the gun.
It may have some merit for the 308 I have on order.
Thanks a lot for the webpage,interesting reading for sure and I am going to order the reading the wind book.

Regards Martin

Posts: 328 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
Here is the word from Winchester product support....

Factory loaded FailSafe ammo will continue to use the Lubalox coating.

Component bullets will continue to be moly (MoS2) coated bullet.

You will not be able to get FailSafe factory loaded ammo in moly, and you cannot get Lubalox coated component bullets.

The Partition Gold component bullets will still be offered in both moly coated and un-coated versions. There is no plan in 2003 for a non-coated Failsafe component bullet.

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What kind of dope is Winchester on? [Eek!] It must be good stuff to be confused on what bullet to coat when. [Confused]

Hcliff

Posts: 305 | Location: Green Bay, WI | Registered: 09 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
Hcliff - I asked pretty much the same thing. The reasoning as best as I can figure is this - The average schmo purchasing loaded ammo doesn't want to bother with moly bullets. Using moly creates all kinds of concerns with velocity drop, burnishing barrels, and special cleaning procedures. Those smart enough to be able to reload, must know how to properly use moly and how to maintain velocity.

I would rather that Winchester just offer one coating and provide us with the option of a naked bullet just like they have with the CT Golds. I have no problems with the Lubalox coating and would rather they use it for hunting bullets. Save the moly bullets for varmint hunters and for high volume paper punchers.

posted Hide Post
I got a box of Fail-safes w/ my new Sako as a gift.
I have also loaded some MK 180gr. rounds as well. I didnt consider the Failsafes being moly coated.
Is it cool to start a new rifle on moly coated bullets???
Iam going to the range tomorrow to try her out..

Posts: 19 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 February 2003Reply With Quote
<rws2>
posted
I think Winchesters bullshiting someone! I shoot factory loaded Failsafes in my 270 Win. and about 3 years ago they switched from Lubalox to Moly at least in the next 100rds I purchased.I buy them a 100rds at a time in 5 boxes.I was running low and had my buddy who owns a gunshop order me another 100.When I got them I noticed that they were Moly Coated now and not Lubalox Coated also the primers had changed fron silver colored to brass colored.
I took them to the range and they shot to a different point that the old Lubalox ones did.So I shot up the remaining lubalox ones and adjusted my sights to the new Moly Coated ones.
Now if these Winchester people know whats going on then my guess is they've changed back to Lubalox again??? All I know for sure is the old ones were Lubalox and the next 100 I got probably 3 years ago are Moly,only got 43rds. of these left.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cabela's sells Lubalox-coated FS bullets, but Winchester's web site only lists Moly-coated FS bullets.

I had been using both, but then I removed all traces of Moly from the barrel, and have not used Moly-coated bullets since. I will e-mail Winchester to inform them that I won't buy any more FS bullets unless they go back to Lubalox or a similar coating. I don't like to deal with Moly, because it is difficult to remove from the rifling.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote