Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

..45 Colt
 Login/Join

posted
I'm a rifle handloader, mostly loading .204 Ruger, 22-250, etc.....I'm going to start loading for my Smith & Wesson Model 25 in .45 Colt. I plan on using 200gr bullets, and would welcome advice on powders/loads. A friend who does a lot of .45acp recommended Accurate's Solo 1000, but I saw that Accurate doesn't list it as a choice for the .45 Colt. I'm considering Hodgdon's Titegroup....but am still open at this point. Thanks. George

PEACE--Through Superior Firepower

one of us
posted Hide Post
Why such a light bullet? The twist rate might not work. I think 250 gr's would be a better starting point.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
George,
I think you would be well served with Alliant's Unique and 2400 powders. As for bullets I'd stick to 250s, cast or jacketed. Remember too that a heavy, hard cast semi-wadcutter will do anything you want when launched around 900f/s from your model 25, besides 200s are best left in the 45 ACP. 9.5 grains of Unique, or 17.5 grains of 2400 with Hornady's 250 HP should start you around the 800f/s mark. 8.0 grains of Unique will give a sedate 680f/s with Speer's 200 grain HP.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong w/ 200gr in the Colt. I've shot 10 of 1000s in CAS matchs. It's a big case & I like powders that are buly. I haven't tried TrailBoss, but the CAS guys love it. I have been fine using 6gr of RedDot for plinkers (about 800fps) & 9gr of Unique puhing 950fps.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with unique or red dot, also w231 shoots very well in my .45Colt. I like to use 230 gr cast bullets though, the 200 seems to lite, and my colt shoots best with 250 grain bullets. So I'd recommend that you try a few of each to see what your gun likes.
Mike

"An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a slave", Ceasar

Posts: 211 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
George
Thanks for asking, 45 Colt is my most favorite pistol cartridge. been loading 45 Colt for 30 some odd years. I've got 4 S&Ws in 45 Colt, one Ruger and one Colt Anaconda.
Check you cyclinder mouths for diameter and make you bullets exactly that size or one thousandth larger. Most commercial cast bullets as well as the swaged stuff from Hornady and Speer are .452, almost guaranteed to lead.
The load I've been using for most all of those 30 years, has been 9 grains of Unique with a 255 grain SWC cast bullet. I size all of my bullets .454, lubed with LBT Blue.
I clean the guns every thousand rounds weither they need it or not.
Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like loads that fill half or more of the case, due to the progressive machine I use so have settled on loads with 270 grain bullets and H-4227 for S&Ws. The problem with Smiths is that they will take a bit heavier loads than a Colt but not as much as a Ruger (for long) but that is not reflected in any of the loading manuals.

posted Hide Post
I like SR 4756 in the 45 Colt. The Speer 13 manual has a load for SWC that shoots very well in my Ruger BH and Marlin CB. At the max published level I get ~850 fps in the BH and 1100 in the Marlin. It is also among my most accurate loads for these guns too.

Fills the case well, burns completely but is a little sooty at Colt SA pressures.

2400 gets me more impressive velocities and in the BH the accuracy is very good. Speckles the bore but doesn't seem to hurt anything.

Posts: 21 | Location: The mossy side of the Cascades | Registered: 10 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I haven`t loaded for the long colt in years but when I had mine I used Unique under 250/255gr lead bullets, or IMR4227 with Jacketed 250 gr slugs. The 200 gr as I remember didn`t seem as accurate, but then I never was a pro with a pistol. Frowner

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been loading 6.5 gr. of Trail Boss under a 200 gr. bullet. It is a mild, pleasant load to shoot.

Posts: 388 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 05 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the many helpful suggestions. The only handgun round I've loaded before was the .45ACP and it was pretty straightforward. Now I guess I'm getting a little confused about bullet diameter. With the .45ACP it was .451, and now I see diameters of .452 and .454....what gives? Thanks again. George

PEACE--Through Superior Firepower

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Arky gave you a pretty good response on bullet dia. The original 45colt used .454. The newre bbl.s are .452 but, cyl. throats vary alot. Measure all six then size bullets for the largest. Most lead bullets, even in 45acp are .452. Many of the 45colt can be had in .452 or .454.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an 1873 Colt 45, 3rd reproduction series..

As Arky stated... either Unique or Blue Dot are my 2 powder choices..

I found that 2400, 4227 provide more recoil, without any real increase in the velocity that I need... I load mine to about 700 fps, but have loaded it as high as 1000 fps.. I use Oregon Trail Laser Cast bullets, 255 grainers pretty much exclusively... they are cheap here in Oregon.. at least a lot cheaper than I see them listed for in the Cabelas catalogues...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an S&W 25-2 in 45auto rim.
I load it to 24 gr H110, 230 gr FMJ, 1.4" Lee Factory crimp.
I cannot load lead bullets, as the recoil is so high that it pulls them out of the auto rims.

I have a Uberti Cattleman 1873 Colt clone 45 Colt 6.5" barrel, that I shoot 24 gr H110 250 gr XTP, 1.60", heavy roll crimp into canalure, 1220 fps.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A couple quick tips.... as I am working on a 45 colt project as well.

45 colt loads are traditionally cast or swaged lead bullets -- rather than jacketed. Not that they can't shoot jacketed, but most factory ammo is cast.

Slug the bore and mic the chamber throats.
Pick your cast bullet size for the chamber throat diameter or the jacketed bullet that closest matches the chamber, then the bore.

Why? "Old" 45 colt guns ran 0.454" bores. "New" 45 colt guns run 0.451 or 0.452"....
but some new production guns have larger bores.

Eg. if your bore measures 0.452" and the throat measures 0.455" -- shoot 0.452" jacketed or 0.454" cast. I haven't been able to find any 0.454 jacketed, or I would use it, as nephew's Taurus revolver runs 0.454" bore and 0.456" throats.

If the chamber throat measures 0.450" and the bore measures 0.452"..... send the gun back to the factory.

On cast bullet designs -- the Keith style cast SWC's are frequently used for this caliber and work well. LFN and WFN cast designs are also very popular and are very accurate also.

Pick a bullet that has a crimp groove and remember to crimp real good or the #4, 5, and 6 bullets will pull on recoil.

Best regards

John

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arkypete:
George
Thanks for asking, 45 Colt is my most favorite pistol cartridge. been loading 45 Colt for 30 some odd years. I've got 4 S&Ws in 45 Colt, one Ruger and one Colt Anaconda.
Check you cyclinder mouths for diameter and make you bullets exactly that size or one thousandth larger. Most commercial cast bullets as well as the swaged stuff from Hornady and Speer are .452, almost guaranteed to lead.
The load I've been using for most all of those 30 years, has been 9 grains of Unique with a 255 grain SWC cast bullet. I size all of my bullets .454, lubed with LBT Blue.
I clean the guns every thousand rounds weither they need it or not.
Jim

I also have a colt anaconda in 45 colt. It's my favorite pistol, and you don't see to many around these days.

Are these .452 barrels or .454 barrels? have you ever measured it? I'm curious. Also, 200gr cast works fine in mine.

Posts: 5184 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of badgerrr
posted Hide Post
I've loaded .45 LC for over 30 years and loaded for a Smith 25-3 for quite a while.

A few quick things:

You won't go too far wrong trying .452 diameter bullets first. Later you can give the .454s a try....see what works best first hand.

Jacketed bullets are fantastic for bottle neck rifle cartridges. For sixguns, they loose their luster. They increase costs, increase pressures, decrease velocities. Cast lead is usually the best way to go.

My M25 was not happy if I tried to get full speed loads with Unique. Seafire has already suggested Blue Dot and I 2nd his advise, if you plan on loading your M25 up. But if 850 fps with a 250 gr bullet is good enough for you, Unique is a good choice.

If you are used to bottle neck rifle reloading, you are gunna love how long your .45 brass will last.

Posts: 107 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 01 January 2003Reply With Quote