Find
Notify
Tools

38 spl. Sooty Brass
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Paul Owens
posted
I'm new to reloading and I've got a question? I'm reloading 38 spl. using Remington brass with 4.8 grains of Ramshot Zip powder (min. load) behind a 125 grain Winchester hollow point bullet.I'm shooting a Colt revolver,and my brass is sooty around the mouth on every case.Is this normal.

Posts: 29 | Location: Pike Co.Kentucky | Registered: 29 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is not "abnormal". You may trying bumping powder charge up in small incremental amounts to check brass sealing against chamber wall. If not sooty down the case length your brass should be expanding against chamber wall and sealing.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Paul Owens
posted Hide Post
The brass is sooty down the sides.I will try going up to 5 grains. Ramshot recommends not exceeding 5.3 grains with there Zip Powder behind 125 grain bullet.

Posts: 29 | Location: Pike Co.Kentucky | Registered: 29 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok, if sooty down the sides that load is too light for that lot of brass. May need to try another powder if 5.0 grs doesn't seal. The 4.8 grs of Ramshot Zip may work with a thinner wall brass.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Paul Owens
posted Hide Post
I like the Ramshot powder it shoots great,I just don't like the sooty brass,but I'm going to load it just a little hotter and try that.I have some Unique that I'm going to try also.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
the unique will probably be sooty too.
try 231 or titegroup to lose the soot.
if you use carbide dies and the soot isn't really bad it will help act as a lubricant for the sizing die.

Posts: 4989 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sooty deposists are normal with low pressue cartridges in general. Even "high pressure" handgun charges are quite low and it drops considerably after a revolver bullet clears the cylinder gap. Gap opens, chamber pressure instantly drops, case contracts, barrel pressure is still high enough to blow back past the mouth of the case.

I don't think you will be able to load it hot enough to stop the blow back.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of K20350
posted Hide Post
I have loaded lots and lots of hot .44 mags and they all are sooty after firing. I believe it's the nature of the beast w/ strait wall cartridges. My good ol' .458 Winny does the same and I am never shy about the loads in her.?Revolver brass is the only brass I tumble after every load.

Posts: 445 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Paul Owens
posted Hide Post
I thought that might be one of my problems losing presser around the cylinder gap.If I keep getting the soot,I'll just throw them in the tumbler like I've been doing to clean them up.
Guys thanks for the help,like I said I'm new to reloading and I will be loading for a 22-250,7mm Mag. and 300 Win. Mag. I'm sure I'll have a lot more ?????????

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm with K20350 on this one, I load my 44 mag and my 45 colt in my Rugers Hot!! and still get sooty brass. I dont get too concerned over it, hardly ever use a polisher, and also think the soot helps, or at least doesnt hurt, with carbide sizing dies. Its just the cost of doing business and its fun to get a little dirty every now and then!!

My .02
Eterry

Good luck and good shooting.
In Memory of Officer Nik Green, #198, Oklahoma Highway Patrol Troop G...Murdered in the line of duty 12-26-03...A Good Man, A Good Officer, and A Good Friend gone too soon

Posts: 839 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K20350:
I have loaded lots and lots of hot .44 mags and they all are sooty after firing. I believe it's the nature of the beast w/ strait wall cartridges. My good ol' .458 Winny does the same and I am never shy about the loads in her.?Revolver brass is the only brass I tumble after every load.

+1 more. All my revolvers do the same.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote