New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Lyman 1200 Digital Powder System
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I love my 1200 as well. The only times I notice drift is when the temperature in the room changes dramatically. Even then we are talking o.1 or 0.2 grams max. It is easily checked, and recalibrated if needed.

Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Lyman is the nuts man. Buy one and have a merry Christmas.......DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Does the Lyman have to be set-up on a diff. table than the press if you are going to do both functions at once? I read somewhere that while the electronic scale is measuring its load using the press or any other movement could give false readings. Any truth to this?
Thanks

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had one for about a month now and I think its the nuts. I'm still not absolutely comfortable with it so I weigh every 10th charge on my 10/10.
I've also changed my loading sequence. Before I started using the 1200, I would charge 10 or 20 cases and then seat bullets. This was so I could do a visual on the powder level in each case. (I did indeed catch a mis-load this way. Some little beastie had built a nest inside of the case and I spotted the difference in the powder level) Since you're not doing anything while the powder charge is metering, I've started charging two cases and then, while the third charge is metering, I seat the bullet in one of the cases. That way I always have one charged case for comparison.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kory
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Does the Lyman have to be set-up on a diff. table than the press if you are going to do both functions at once? I read somewhere that while the electronic scale is measuring its load using the press or any other movement could give false readings. Any truth to this?
Thanks

Depends how stable your work bench is. You really don't want any movement or vibration on the table because the load cell they use is very sensitive and if the table is shaking, it will confuse the unit and it will give you an error. Just to be 100% safe, I would setup the lynman on another table or workbench. I have kind of an "L" shaped setup with two tables. I have the press bolted to the table in front of me and the lyman on the left. Its worked out very well.

Kory

Posts: 860 | Location: Montana | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kory
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I have a question about the Lyman. I had one I got from Wally World, and set up in my garage. It didn't seem to weigh consistently. I would get in the neighborhood of .3-.5 gr differences weighing the same check weights. I used it for some rifle loads and can't really say it was off. The loads shot well. Then I later tried to check the scale with my beam, and the Lyman, again, was all over the place. Long story, I know, but I never got it consistent. I took it back.
Later I read somewhere, where someone had the exact same problem, and left the unit turned on for like a week, to sort of burn in, and it quit the erratic reading, and worked perfectly. Wish I'd known to try that then, but I didn't.
Anyone have troubles like this in the beginning? I later wondered if the flourescent lights above my workbench had any affect on it, but it doesn't seem to bother my Dillon electronic scale. Any thoughts? Other than that I though the unit was the cat's meow.

Did you skip the 30 minute power on warm uo?

Did the temprature of the loading room change drmatically during reloading?

Was there any vibrations or strong crosswins during reloading?

All of these can cause problems like that.

Kory

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a question about the Lyman. I had one I got from Wally World, and set up in my garage. It didn't seem to weigh consistently. I would get in the neighborhood of .3-.5 gr differences weighing the same check weights. I used it for some rifle loads and can't really say it was off. The loads shot well. Then I later tried to check the scale with my beam, and the Lyman, again, was all over the place. Long story, I know, but I never got it consistent. I took it back.
Later I read somewhere, where someone had the exact same problem, and left the unit turned on for like a week, to sort of burn in, and it quit the erratic reading, and worked perfectly. Wish I'd known to try that then, but I didn't.
Anyone have troubles like this in the beginning? I later wondered if the flourescent lights above my workbench had any affect on it, but it doesn't seem to bother my Dillon electronic scale. Any thoughts? Other than that I though the unit was the cat's meow.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one that my wife gave me for Christmas last year and I consider it one of my best reloading tools now. I have used two of the old Lyman Autoscales for some years now, each set up with powders I use weekly. I needed to load 100 plus .416 Rem cartridges for Africa and would be using a different powder from that in my Autoscales. I easily loaded all my African loads fast and efficiently with the 1200 and now use it for all my .416 Rem and Rigby loads with little trouble changing powders because of the clean out hole nicely designed on the 1200. I had the RCBS Digital scale and dispenser for a short time and didn't like the calibration chores needed so I sold it. The calibration of the 1200 is much simpler. My advice is buy it, you will come to value it highly if you shoot as much as I do. Good luck and good shooting.

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It doesn't "seem" to respond to the minor vibes from seating a bullet but I have a very heavy, stable bench and your mileage may vary.
I guess its a "better safe than sorry" situation. A small side table from Wally's or the thrift shop would prob work well. Hmmmmm, I have a small (15x24) side table with two under shelves here in my office that has become a junque repository that would be ideal.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kory
posted Hide Post
I have one and absolutely love it. Best money I spent on reloading gear (next to the press itself). I can't think of anything negative about it.

Get one, you won't regret it.

Kory

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am thinking about buying one of these as a Christmas gift to myself. http://www.lymanproducts.com/lymanproducts/index.htm
Does anyone have any experiance with the Lyman Powder System? Any input would be a big help.
Thanks

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kory
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I have the Lyman 1200DSP and I have had trouble from the getgo. My first one would not hold zero. The scale was off by .3 to .5 grains. The first 10-15 powder charges were fine. After that it start to go crazy. I would throw 57.0 grains of IMR 4350 and the scale would read 57.0 grains. I would take it off the scale and reweight it and I would get 56.5 grains, 56.7 grains.
I called Lyman and they replaced my unit. I checked the s/n to make sure it was a new one. Well the same problem, but this time it took about 20-25 powder charges for the scale to go crazy.
The scale is much to sensitive. There must be a defect in the manufacturing process.
I purchased a Pact scale and trickler and all my problems disappeared.

hglass,

Please don't take this the wrong way as I'm not trying to be condescending -- I did have similar problems. Two things to check for:

1. Make sure there is no loose powder on the scale and in the little pan. They both must be perfectly clean and free on any objects when you zero the scale. I would get a little power coming out of the trickler after I removed the pan and it would build up on the scale.

2. The scale doesn't like vibration, electronic interference, or big temprature changes.

Good luck,
Kory