Find
Notify
Tools

Breaking in a new rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gentlemen,
I have not got my new rifle just yet but when I do what is the proper way to break it in? # of shots between cleaning etc. For my last new rifle I had a great article on this, but that was a few years back and I have lost this article.

Would appreciate advice

Blackstone

Posts: 48 | Location: Yukon | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
There have been many, many threads about this on all the boards, and all the barrel makers offer one version or another. There's a very good discussion going on at: http://txpredatorposse.proboards19.com/index.cgi?board=rifle&action=display&num=1067755651

I'm one of the ones who believes a special barrel breakin procedure to be unnecessary.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
had a gun smith who has shot competition and built several hundred rifles in his 40 plus years with rifles suggest this with new match grade shilen barrels. 3 shots and clean thru about 30 rounds. he gave me JB'S bore brite compound to use and then he'd have me run marvels mystery oil thru it 40 times on a patch and then wipe the excess out dry. i have used this method on the last 7 or 8 rifles and it really helps polish the new bore and retard copper build up. after break in is complete, ive noticed copper does not build up in my bore on these rifles like ones that i did nothing too. at about 20 rounds i watched the groups go from about 1" to 3/4 and then they would just start printing holes. it was amazing to watch. a buddy of mine had him build a 270 and a 7mm-08 and we used this procedure because he did not believe me. in the past he never cleaned after a certain number of shots and usually never cleaned. he was amazed at the difference. im sure other experiences are different and all rifles have their own personalities and are shot under varying conditions so the outcomes are different. this has just been my experience. get you a routine that works and stick to it. your rifles will tell you what they need. get to know them. hope this helps.

Posts: 214 | Location: north carolina | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
For a hunting rifle, clean it out of the box and then just shoot it and clean it. You will get more enjoyment from your rifle and it will shoot just as good. If it doesn't shoot well due to a rough bore, then a quick lapping of it should smooth it out. But why go through an elaborate break in process when most of the time it is not necessary?

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote