Find
Notify
Tools

300 savage
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I picked up a savage 99 in 300 savage.

Any handloads out there that top factory loads in velocity in a savage 99 ?

It looks like the 300sacage w/ 150gr should about equal .308, but the factory loads to lower pressure. I dont know they exact age of my 99, but it is post 1951.
Serial number is 1029608, it has a rotary magazine(not brass), and has "High-Pressure Steel" on the barrell. Sounds "60'ish" to me.

Posts: 90 | Location: albany,ny,usa | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I should also add, this is a model 99E, with 20" bbl

Posts: 90 | Location: albany,ny,usa | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
Load I use in mine is 168 sierra hpbt seated at 2.69"ol
IMR-3031 35.5g,cci 250m primers
shot a couple deer with this load. broad side shot, around 50yds.
Each ran about 75 yards.
went back to the 270.
If I were going to use it a gain I would choose a hornaday spire pt 165 bullet.
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bughole You and i both know the savage 99 lever action is a good rifle right !

And its one heck of a bush to open area gun right !

There is one thing i think if i jog your memmory you might remmber about the Savage 99.. remmber when thay made a run of 30/06's in 99 and stop the run becouse the action could not handle it same with the 284 it was to hard on the action .The savage 99 in 308 is the biggest for a reason

to much PSI ..

I know you already know this or i am sure that if you think about it you now are starting to remmber this.

Now to the loads the savage lever as i am sure you know should never go over 45.000 PSI Max ever!! the gun Will Handle it to dought about it what happens is the action for what ever reason will begain to streach out

Its just something that happens when fireing high PSI load through it .And that means your going to be loading it down

That does not mean that rifle of yours in anyway cant do the job you bought it for

Loads for the 300 savage

BL-C ( 2 )_35 gains 165 grain bullet........some were around

2300 FPS

IMR 3031_36 Grains 165 grain bullet some were around

2400 FPS

My old savage is a 284 99 mod it sits in all her glory on the wall as her action is streach out to bady to shot ever again..

Pottsy

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your load was in a 99 as well ?

Doesnt put 'em down good then.

This gun would be for thick woods hunting only - Adirondacks.
I go through guns like socks. Want to shoot and hunt with all of them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been shooting Savages for many years and I have never seen one "stretch out"...that cannot happen...It can develope excess head space by firing a too hot load but so can a Ruger no. 1 or any good bolt gun...Savage 99s will not take the pressure of the bolt action, but they will get you within two grains of any bolt gun max of the same caliber.

If you load a Savage too hot it will slightly kick the lever down a bit at the shot, thats sure time to cut your load a grain or two..but I always thought that was nice of the old girl to tell you, "back off buster"....

Your 300 Savage is not a .308, so don't try and make it one, make it a 300 Savage, its a great caliber in its own right and will kill about as well as a 308 or 30-06 under most conditions..

When I was a kid growing up it was considered a magnum, after all we all hunted elk and deer with a 30-30 or even a 25-35s..I remember my uncle bought the first 300 Savage into camp and he sure got hoorawed, until he showed us what a 300 Savage would do to an elk!

figure it a 308 short...about a 100 to 150 FPS slower and no animal will ever know the difference...Nice old guns.

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
good advise guys. I will keep it a 300 Savage.
I didnt realize that the Savage 99's in .308 were larger

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
I think the 300 is a good caliber. Afriend of mine uses one and get deer every year.
For me though I would use a diffrent bullet, the sierra hpdt did not kill like i thought they should.
Even though the deer did not go far.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I find it hard to believe that '99s were discontinued in 06 due to lack of strength. The 30-06 doenst lend itself well to leverguns and the last time I read about it, the 308 has a higher saami rating than the 30-06.

Mine is a "e" model like yours and Im getting 2600 fs with 165 grain bullets behind Rlr 15 with no pressure signs. I dont like "hot" loads in any of my guns, thats just what the 300 will do with modern powders and a good bbl.

Work up a load in your 99 like any other gun, the reason that the 308 and 358 are available in it is because it is one of the strongest lever actions ever built, this is a well known fact.

Enjoy you classic rifle.

Posts: 10141 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

The Savage 99's are some of the very best lever guns ever made. I've never heard of any problems with them "stretching". The Model 99 was discontinued in .284 for the same reason that it was discontinued in every other caliber...lack of sales, nothing else.

The .300 Savage is a fantastic deer, elk, black bear, etc. cartridge, and your rifle will do excellent. Enjoy it..!!

Posts: 643 | Location: DeRidder, Louisiana USA | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You have the best lever rifle ever made the Mod 99 Savage.The 300 Savage round and the 99 Savage is prefection.

Posts: 255 | Location: Wurtsboro,NY.USA | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Bughole You and i both know the savage 99 lever action is a good rifle right !
And its one heck of a bush to open area gun right !
There is one thing i think if i jog your memmory you might remmber about the Savage 99.. remmber when thay made a run of 30/06's in 99 and stop the run becouse the action could not handle it same with the 284 it was to hard on the action .The savage 99 in 308 is the biggest for a reason
to much PSI ..
I know you already know this or i am sure that if you think about it you now are starting to remmber this.
Now to the loads the savage lever as i am sure you know should never go over 45.000 PSI Max ever!! the gun Will Handle it to dought about it what happens is the action for what ever reason will begain to streach out
Its just something that happens when fireing high PSI load through it .And that means your going to be loading it down
That does not mean that rifle of yours in anyway cant do the job you bought it for
Loads for the 300 savage
BL-C ( 2 )_35 gains 165 grain bullet........some were around
2300 FPS

IMR 3031_36 Grains 165 grain bullet some were around
2400 FPS

My old savage is a 284 99 mod it sits in all her glory on the wall as her action is streach out to bady to shot ever again..
Pottsy

The 308 Winchester is almost a twin to sister to the 300 Savage.Bullets in the 30-06 and 284 had to be seated deeply,to cycle in the action.Cutting down on the powder load.Thus the denise of the 30-06 and 284 in the grate 99 Savage.

Posts: 255 | Location: Wurtsboro,NY.USA | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Savage has been on bad times and they pretty well earned it....The Model 99 was discontinued for one reason only and that is cost of production, it was a costly production item and had slowed down in sales, mostly because the world was pretty well saturated with the 99Fs (1950's Fwt.) and old tried and true Model EG, that were so popular and the new cheapo 99s were not selling because most knowing folks would buy a used F or EG...When they went to the clip fed to cut cost the 99 got its throat cut...Another example of the total stupidity of the new generation of bean counters that have taken over the arms industry...

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr Potts I think you have your lever action rifles mixed up. The original model 99's were made to work with rimmed cartridges such as the 303 sav and 30-30 win 22sav HP etc. They were then modified slightly to handle the 250 sav and 300 sav cartridges (rimless). The action was again modified slightly to handle the 308 family of cartridges.ie 243,308,358 and 284 win and later 22-250 and 7mm-08. That is the longest cartridge that can be made work in the sav 99.They were never made in 30-06. I believe you are confused with the Win model 95 lever action . It was made in 30-06 and it did have problems with high pressure. As Ray has already said the sav 99 action handles the 308,284 cartridges just fine.

Posts: 2436 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

...I have never seen one "stretch out"...that cannot happen...

Your 300 Savage is not a .308, so don't try and make it one, make it a 300 Savage, ...figure it a 308 short...about a 100 to 150 FPS slower and no animal will ever know the difference...

Hey bughole, If you get the Loads too hot, the action will "Flex" due to the Rear Lock-Up Bolt design. That creates a situation similar to Excess Headspace and allows the Case to stretch more than is appropriate at the Pressure Ring. This in turn thins the Case quickly and results in Casehead Separations in as few as 2-3 shots.

If however you simply keep the 300Sav at the Pressure Levels listed in the various Load Manuals, this quirk can be reduced but not eliminated. So, I agree with Mr. Ray's advice about just keeping it at 300Sav levels and not hot-rodding it to 308Win Velocities. It is a great round at it's intended Pressure and Velocity levels.

One thing that will provide a small bit of help for you is to make your 300Sav Cases from once fired 308Win "Military" Cases. You just squash them in your regular old Full Length 300Sav Die and out pops one with a long neck. The only negative aspect is that it does take a good bit of "Trimming" to get them to the correct length.

The Military Cases are slightly thicker in the Pressure Ring wall area and will provide you with a bit more case-life "IF" you reduce the Loads(slightly) to compensate for the smaller internal volume. If you use the regular 300Sav Loads listed for commercial Cases, then you once again up the Pressure which Flexes the Action and will also cause the Military Cases to stretch more than appropriate at the Pressure Ring.

I always had very good accuracy with good old IMR-4064. I found IMR-4320 to have some strange Pressure Fluxuations as I approached the listed Top Loads, but I only tried one Lot of it. I'd expect Hodgdon's Varget to work well in it, but it wasn't available when I had my 300Sav.

Excellent old rifles and an excellent old cartridge.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote