New
Find
Notify
Tools

reloading adn loveBest 44 Mag loads?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am really getting into reloading and LOVE the 44 mag. I have a S&W 629 5 inch bbl and a Marlin 1894P 16 inch bbl.

Full power loads and reduced plinkers both interest me.

Let me know what you like and why.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I too love the 44 Mag.

I had my first 44 Mag rifle when I was about 12, and got my first 44 Mag Revolver when I got out of high school in 1970.

All of my loads are still Old School.

I use Unique, with 240gr lead bullets from 6,5 to 9.2gr, and 2400[I cannot give you my 2400 loads as I am still using the old 2400 and have not needed to try the new 2400 yet.

With jacketed bullets I use either 2400 or 24gr. of H-110.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
It`s been a few years since I loaded for my Ruger SB other then strickly heavy hunting ammo. I did however use Unique for lead plinkers and H110 for jacketed. 2400 works well for heavy loads, and can be loaded down lighter then H110 but, I don`t rmember getting the velocities with it H110 gave.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought I recalled something about H110 and looked in the manual:

H110 loads should not reduced more than 3%.... H110 if reduced too much will cause inconsistent ignition.

It would be my preferred powder for rifle, but I would use lesser loads (like Unique or Hodgdon's Universal) in the revolver to preserve its integrity.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 44 loads are the same as N E 450 No2 using a 240 gr. bullet. This is a pretty accurate load, too. Somewhat different with heavier bullets.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
What is it about the 44 Mag? I traded one off a few years ago and have been sorry ever since.
This summer I bought a new 926 6 inch but need to adjust the sights first. I'll tell you want you like about it. It's the only handgun that I could consistantly hit an oil can at fifty yards and keep hitting it. I sure can't do that with my 9mms. It's got to be the most fun
of all handguns and dthe N frame is got to be the prettiest of all wheel guns. I've used 9.5 of Unique as well as 2400. I've had really good results with 296 for full power loads but don't use those much.

Posts: 21 | Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma | Registered: 01 May 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by okeybug:
What is it about the 44 Mag? I traded one off a few years ago and have been sorry ever since.
This summer I bought a new 926 6 inch but need to adjust the sights first. I'll tell you want you like about it. It's the only handgun that I could consistantly hit an oil can at fifty yards and keep hitting it. I sure can't do that with my 9mms. It's got to be the most fun
of all handguns and dthe N frame is got to be the prettiest of all wheel guns. I've used Unique as well as 2400. I've had really good results with 296 for full power loads but don't use those much.

Posts: 21 | Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma | Registered: 01 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am finding there is something about the 44 I love more than any other round. I will be trying some new loads in my dad's old Ruger 44 auto mag carbine. I killed my first deer with that rifle, at age 11.

posted Hide Post
I am finding myself in the same boat. I own a Ruger super redhawk in 44mag. I love it, even though I don't get to shoot or reload as much as I would like due to work and young kids. I recently thought about selling my pistol so I bought a HR single shot in 44mag so I could use my loaded ammo. But I just couldn't part with the pistol.

I did discover my pistol loads are not accurate in my rifle. Maybe the longer barrel makes it more sensative or my loads may need more developing .

Anyway I like the 44 mag in the rifle. Its powerful, not hard on the shoulder and not nearly as loud as my pistol. I hope to one day get my kids into sport shooting, reloading and hunting and I think the 44 mag will be a good round to incorporate.

I use 23.5gr h110 under a 240gr bullet and 15.5gr bluedot under 210s but those were my pistol loads and they seemed to work good in it. But like I said, I may re-work all my 44mag loads.

If you put enough rounds down range the enemy is bound to run in to one sooner or later.

Posts: 20 | Location: Ala "By God" Bama | Registered: 21 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've loaded and shot almost 15,000 44 Mags in various M29s including a Magna Classic. I like H-110 and Sierra jacketed bullets but most of my best loads involved heavy 255-gr cast Keith SWCs with 20-22 grains of 2400 and a HEAVY crimp. The Magna Classic would shoot into 1.75" at 50 yds with the jacketed 210-gr, 240-gr and 250-gr Sierras and heavy loads of H-110 but it's a specially-built pistol. You can expect 6 MOA from most good iron-sighted 44 Mag handguns and well-cast Keith SWCs using 2400 or H-110.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I've been loading & shooting the 44mag for some 33yrs now. Shoot it for recreation, hunting & competetion. I used to shoot jacketed bullets early on, shot the throat out of my first RBH. Now everything gets a good lead bullet, fast or slow, the 44mag is just fun to shoot.
FOr plinkers, a 240-250grLSWC o/ 8-9gr of Unique shoots great. For hunting or serious backpacking load, a 270grLHP or 310grLFP o/ 21gr of H110 or 17.5gr of 2400 shoot well enough for me.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
240gr. Lead Bullet w/ 14 gr. BlueDot

Speak softly and carry a big stick, and you will go far. -- Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 108 | Location: Panhandle of Texas | Registered: 20 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
I use fast burning powders with a 240 grain Laser Cast for loads around 900-1000 fps for the plinking stuff and 300 grain Laser cast with 21.5 grain of H110 for the hunting stuff out of a Ruger Old Vaquero Bisley with a 5.5" barrel.

Both loads very accurate but the hunting load gets your notice after a gun full.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Yeah shot some today, 44mag is just fun out of a rife, not near as loud as the pistol which is also fun to shoot.
44 spl out of my HR sound like a muffled 22mag and has 0 recoil but shoots the cci 200gr gold dots at 1200 fps.
I got some 240 cast bullets from a buddy and they shoot really tight groups.
I think this rifle was a good choice to compliment my Ruger SuperRedHawk.

If you put enough rounds down range the enemy is bound to run in to one sooner or later.

Posts: 20 | Location: Ala "By God" Bama | Registered: 21 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
use Unique, with 240gr lead bullets

quote:
a 240-250gr LSWC o/ 8-9gr of Unique shoots great

I've got a Ruger New Model Blackhawk & a Marlin 1894 Carbine. What a great horseback combo; one in the holster, one in the scabbard and you can easily carry enough ammo to be prepared for any situation.

quote:
I killed my first deer with that rifle, at age 11

I was older but the same in Sapdes for me. In Florida you don't need a scope for the swamps and the Carbine's never had one mounted on it; the open sights work just great.

I prefer the Speer half-jacket 240 gr. Semi-Wadcutters; flat or hollow-point with a stiff load of W-W 296 (and good crimp over the top of the jacket) for serious work in both the Revolver & Carbine.

For everyday use both the Revolver & Carbine (although supposedly should not have worked as well as it does in the Marlin Micro-Groove rifling) is any good 240 gr. LSWC and 8-9 grains of Unique.

I don't have much use for the pair currently in The Fatherland but will always keep them as they're great shooters and another opportunity to use them to their full potential will surely come along.

Have fun with your revolver & rifle.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote