Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How far off the lands should I seat?
 Login/Join

posted
I have a Browning A-bolt 300wsm. I hunt in weather from 0-70f. How far off the lands should I seat my hunting rounds?

Posts: 328 | Location: Southwest Idaho | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First of all seat them to where they fit in your magazine and loaded rounds eject.

Then depending on the bullet start anywhere from .005 to .050 off (if they work in the mag at those lengths). Barnes X bullets recommend starting at .050 off. Most other bullets usually work somewhere in the .005 to .015 range.

Some guys like to "kiss" the lands. In a hunting rifle I think this is a bad idea but I'm sure some will vehemantly argue against my opinion.........................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Staying with SAAMI/manufactures spec for length, determine the bullet (brand, weight and style) your rifle prefers. Than find the powder type and charge weight it likes the best. Than (and only than) do you start playing with your OAL.

IOW start with the biggest variable (bullet), then the second (powder type) and 3rd (powder charge) largest variables and only after you have those solved should you consider moving to the variable that's about #10 on the list of "group shrinkers".

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tailgunner:

IOW start with the biggest variable (bullet), then the second (powder type) and 3rd (powder charge) largest variables and only after you have those solved should you consider moving to the variable that's about #10 on the list of "group shrinkers".

Your first three make sense but I think most people would agree that seating depth is a lot further up the list than #10!...............DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
most serious accuracy testing starts at .020".

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DJP
Where you put it is up to you, but seating depth is still a very small factor in the entire picture (used primary to fine tune the harmonics of the barrel).
Other things I didn't mention, case mouth hardness, Case mouth concentrically, brand of brass, volume matching of that brass, brand of primer, strength of that primer, lot# of the powder, lot# of the primers, lot# of the bullets.
Bottom line (to me) is that the first 3 items I mentioned are about 90% of the potential accuracy picture (assuming no problems with the rifle/optics/shooter), with all the other combined making up the last 10% (so what, about 2% can be gained by each?).

IOW (and to use a poor analogy) changing the seating depth is like using wax to improve the fuel mileage on your car, without first taking care of the miss in the engine, the leak in the fuel line, and the 4 flat tires.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:

Rich

+1 to IdahoSharpshooter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
MRAMSAY 10,

"hunting round" you say. 300 wsm you say. If your getting 1.5" groups or better out of a dead stock production rifle and you are shooting at ranges of 200 yds and under, I wouldn't worry about it. However if you are a "wacko" and a "rifle looney" like many here, then fiddle to your hearts' content (I'm just one reload, and one rifle away from being happy).

You did not detail to what extent you have gone to accurize your rifle (ie: bedding, trigger job all screw tight, scope properly installed ) nor how far you've gone in your load development.
I would first find a powder and bullet the rifle likes.
It has been my experience that the chambers of 300 wsm's are cut on the short side and have very little leade or freebore. If you have a stoney point overall length gauge it is a simple matter to determine your max OAL. You can then experiment from there.
However since this is a hunting round I would be more concerned that the reloaded round will feed/load and eject properly. I've noticed on many of the wsm's that you can easily have a headspace problem rather quickly and need to use your dies to bump the shoulder back so the brass will chamber. I would start out loading to either SAAMI OAL or to the length listed in the reload manual. As has been stated before you definately want to make sure your cartridge will fit the mag (although I have not found this to be a problem with the A-Bolt.)
Best of luck in your endeavor
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tailgunner, I have a 22-250 that with the bullets seated .005 off the lands is a 3/8"-1/2" group shooting rifle. Move the same bullets back to std OAL depth and it's about a 1" group shooting rifle with all the other components being the same.

This rifle may be the exception to the rule but I have certainly seen seating depth be a critical variable in the reloading process. Several experienced reloaders and competitive shooters (National Champion level shooters) suggest you find a bullet, use a powder to get the velocity you want and then adjust seating depth to get the accuracy you want. I'm not saying that the other factors aren't important but seating depth is pretty high up the list..................DJ

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
When starting with a new caliber or new rifle I will seat the bullets at .025" for regular and .050" off for monolithic like Barnes. By the time I have done a ladder on 3 or 4 different bullets with a couple of different powders going from a medium load to max, somewhere along the line I have found a load that is satisfactory to me.

IMO it is all about bullet exit timing and varying the powder charge will do that as well as bullet seating depth.

Also, unless you are extremely anal about case prep and pay special attention to the bullet grip and inside neck surface and have a better than normal seating die, it is almost impossible to keep bullet seating depth variations below .005". IMO when you seat close to the lands then any variations in seating depth have a greater influence than the same amount of variation when seating further from the lands. By that I mean that if you are seating very close to the lands like .005" and do not do as much loading and shooting as djpaintles does (with excellent results judging by targets I have seen posted), then some of the bullets may be .002" off the lands and some .007" off the lands resulting in significant POI change. If one happens to be seated against the lands then you will have an instant flyer. By contrast, if you were seating .030" off and some were at .027" and others at .032", the the POI changes would not be as drastic. I either seat into the lands (carefully and at a reduced load) or >.020".

Many of todays rifles have a short mag and long throat. Used to be it was mostly Weatherby's but now almost any rifle you pick up in the RUM's also will have a .250" or more jump to the lands when seated to fit the mags. Some of them shoot very well.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Here is my process(please critique):
1. Fire rounds through gun
2. Take cases, put a drop of car wax on my hands and roll 3-5 cases(Win)
3. Resize only half way down the neck
4. Clean primer pockets - wire tool(I need to buy the carbide one)
5. Tumble in walnut shells for 1-2 days
6. Take out of tumbler, check necks. Wire brush inside of case, clean primer pocket lightly again.
7. Use Lee quick primer thing(focusing on same pressure each priming)

That is my case prep.
Ideas?

Posts: 328 | Location: Southwest Idaho | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You tumble too long. 5 - 8 hrs or even less ought to do it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
+1 to IdahoSharpshooter

Ditto. And then going deeper. There are exceptions to any simple "rule" but they ARE exceptions. Few factory sporters shooting hunting bullets shoot best their best with the bullets near the lands, IME.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote