New
Find
Notify
Tools

338 winchester magnum to 7mm remington magnum
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone ever tried to resize the 338 winchester magnum neck and then fireform the case with cornmeal to blow the shoulder back forward to develop 7mm rem. magnum brass. I know this seems like alot of trouble just wandering if it can be done, or is there an easier way to develop a 7mm remington mag brass??

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
7 RM brass is common or is it not?

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I once made a couple of 22-250 cases from 30-06 brass. Just as a learning experience. What I learned was it was a PIA.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:

Yea, it is commonly missing from the shelves like any other brass thesedays.. Frowner

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:
I once made a couple of 22-250 cases from 30-06 brass. Just as a learning experience. What I learned was it was a PIA.

I made a half dozen 45ACP case's from 30-06 last year.

Cutting off was easy enough but reaming made it a big PIA

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Hammer, sent you a pm.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What causes you to believe that the shoulder needs to be "blown back forward"? See my reply in your other post.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wstrnhuntr:
quote:

Yea, it is commonly missing from the shelves like any other brass thesedays.. Frowner

Yeah, I'm waiting for Stonecreek to explain to him that this reloading component "shortage" will be over by the end of the year, just like he told the rest of us 9 months ago. And that it was all due to everyone hoarding. I believe his words were something like; "everyone is hoarding more than they possibly ever shoot in a lifetime and these hoarders widows will be selling off bullets, powder and primers at estate sales for pennies on the dollar".

Personally... I am going to be watching the obituary/public notice section of the Henly Herald. animal

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
O.K. you have a belted head to headspace on so this should be doable but a LOT of work.

Necking from .33 to .28, you may need to neck ream.

You will probably want to anneal the neck area. Molten PURE lead is o.k. (Alloys melt cooler.)

Done carefully and you might not have to work with the shoulder much...

But these are a lot of steps for a few 7 Rem Mag cases... You want the work? Go for it... I would seek .264 WCF and just blow them out with corn meal or cream of wheat... Happy holidays.

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wstrnhuntr:
quote:

Or, a guy could buy some off of Gunbroker, if in a pinch.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rae59:

Yeah, I'm waiting for Stonecreek to explain to him that this reloading component "shortage" will be over by the end of the year

You can walk into an Academy store and buy as many WW primers as you want, right now, today; you don't even have to wait until year's end. Academy has never before stocked reloading components, but with nut cases buying whatever they can get their hands on they figured that they might as well.

A few months ago there was no such thing as a .22 caliber bullet "overrun" or "blem" from Nosler. Their website has had 50 and 55 grain Ballistic Tips available (without limit) for a while now.

Gougers of .22 LR shells can no longer get as much as they paid for them, with cartons going begging at $40. Most retailers are still limiting .22 ammunition, but it gets looser and more plentiful every day.

There are still some hoarders buying. A hoarder, in this case, is someone who is unlikely to ever actually use the goods he hoards. Their widows will, as they always do, sell the hoarded goods for pennies on the dollar, or perhaps even give it away.

In the meantime, I've still got more than I can reasonably shoot, but then, having been through a couple of these scares and the glut which follows, I've picked up ample bargain basement supplies to last me until the glut inevitably returns.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote