New
Find
Notify
Tools

Northfork Retumbo 7mm Rem Mag
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anybody tried 160gr Northforks in 7mm Rem Mag using Retumbo powder? I got a pretty decent load now but I can't help tinkering.

I'm a wild bull rider and I love my rodeo

Posts: 104 | Location: Somewhere north of Eden | Registered: 08 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Not with Northfork's but I tried Barnes 160gr XLC's over Retumbo in my 7mm RM and got less than stellar accuracy. I tried the same venture with Hornady 162gr SST or IB? (seconds from Midsouth) and got the same type groups.
I switched to RL22 and IMR 7828 and got improvements with both bullets. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
One of my most accurate loads was 160 Accubond over 70 gr of Retumbo w/ CCI 250 primer for 3000 fps. Can't tell you about the Northforks. Make sure you work up to that load from 5% below as each rifle bullet combo is different and this may not be safe in your rifle.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My God- other people are using Retumbo? It seems that I never hear of other users. I got sub-moa accuracy with retumbo under Sierra's 160 gr Gameking- I don't have my load notes, but if I recall it was in the 68.5/69.0 range. That of course, is my results- yours may vary with a different rifle and bullet.

SBB

Posts: 250 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
R-E-T-U-M-B-O...I think it's a pretty spiffy name. I'd love to hear how them came up with some of the names Hodgdons uses.. Lil' Gun? Retumbo? Titewad? Varget? But I digress... I just couldn't help tinkering with my current load. I have found the best bullet and am now looking for the best powder. The velocity spreads I was getting using 7828 were bugging me.
Thanx for the help.

I'm a wild bull rider and I love my rodeo

Posts: 104 | Location: Somewhere north of Eden | Registered: 08 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who makes Retumbo, I have read of it but am not sure of its origins or if it has reached the U.K shores yet?

Thanks

Posts: 343 | Location: York / U.K | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
Hodgdon markets Retumbo

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote