Tools

Time to sell?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted
Looking at the prices of powder right now, I’m thinking,
IS IT TIME TO SELL?
I have an 8lb jug of H1000 that I bought for my 338 Lapua four years ago and haven’t even cracked it. Haven’t even began to think of working up loads for that rifle.
Same jug of H1000 is going for $900 on GB.
Real black and H4198 are my go to powders right now anyway.
Should I strike while the irons hot?

Posts: 3322 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, sell now to the hoarders and idiots and buy back in a year at normal prices. Financial advice. Reloaders, however, are loathe to give anything up, preferring it to be sold at their estate sale for ten cents on the dollar.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My question to the same problem is what is one going to do with the money.

If it is for something useful, needs to be done . Or something you want and could not afford with out selling.

If selling just for the money. Is the cash going to be better to have.

If the answer is yes sell.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
900 would be far beyond my moral ability.
anything past 300 would err should be beyond their umm dumbassery.

but P.T. had it nailed pretty good.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I question how much is being: "SOLD"

at these gouging prices.

Sure they're "priced at that"

being "Sold" is a whole different thing.

As for selling what's on my shelf? Not a chance!

There's even less chance of me paying such a
price.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
I question how much is being: "SOLD"

at these gouging prices.

Sure they're "priced at that"

being "Sold" is a whole different thing.

George

In this case the BID is at $906 and there were three of four bidding north of $800
Crazy, I know...

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/893862959

Posts: 3322 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i dunno but i have a bunch of 4831 and a friend needed some so i sold him enuf for $5/# to keep him shooting for the summer i guess i'm dumb but i need a fav9or s9metime i'll bet i can g4et one

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I gave a friend about 4 pounds of 700X.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
I have enough for personal consumption given I shoot moderately, beyond that I will take up golf before I pay ridiculous prices. I need to catch up on my fishing anyways. It's a less than idealistic world right now in guns and ammo/components so my advice is to shoot moderately and don't run yourself short on anything until you see things start hitting the shelves again.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3079 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
take up golf?
good lord man.
do you know what that costs?
I got no idea what a set of clubs is now days but I bet a good driver will set you back a jug of powder.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Well hell I guess I didn't think of that. Im sure the polyester plaid pants cost a bit too.lol

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3079 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd rather my primers and powder be sold for pennies on the dollar at an estate sale than gouge someone just because you can.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes - just like the bourbon craz, if someone wants to pay a 10x or more for something I have, I’ll sell it to them. If a participant is willing to pay a market clearing price, I fail to see that as gouging. Especially considering the likelihood that most of the scarce items will be readily available again at some point (remember to prepare next time...).

However, (a big however) for the topic at hand is that an individual can’t ship powder or primers and very few gunshops have the certification to ship them as well. Been there done that and been turned away from Fedex and UPS more than once.

Posts: 1244 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Along those lines, I was having a conversation with a friend the other night who claims that primers + powder can be shipped in the same container under one Haz-Mat fee. I disagreed but he insisted. I think I'm right. Any comments?

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Powder Valley has shipped both in the same box.

To me several times over the years. Sometimes
in quite large quantities.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you pay the Haz Matt, its legal im told.??? dont know for sure, but not interested infinding out anyway..Not going to ship anything brass.bullets and ammo properly marked..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It does get irritating when the shipping agents don't know the rules or laws. I know that I can't ship loaded ammo by USPS but I can by UPS ground. I wanted to send my cousin a couple of boxes of 9mm + 380 + had it boxed up + went to the UPS store where I was told that they could not ship ammo. I tried to tell the guy the rules over a 5 minute period with no good results; then I recalled the old adage: when you argue with an idiot, who's the idiot?

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Along those lines, I was having a conversation with a friend the other night who claims that primers + powder can be shipped in the same container under one Haz-Mat fee. I disagreed but he insisted. I think I'm right. Any comments?

Both Midway and MidSouth have shipped both powder and primers to me in the same carton many times! They advertise it all the time.

Hip

Posts: 1891 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's good to know. The shippers have been promoting the other line of thought for years, double profit, right?

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gringo Cazador:
I'd rather my primers and powder be sold for pennies on the dollar at an estate sale than gouge someone just because you can.

^^^^^ This. I didn't get into this hobby for the $$.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote