New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question on 300 WM
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My Hornady manual made mention of the short neck on the 300 WM being a (possible)drawback. I never hear it mentioned so I'm a little curious. Why is this an issue or is it??

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
<heavy varmint>
posted
This is suppposed to be a problem since with the short neck the bullets, especialy heavy bullets have to be seated deep into the case robbing powder space. Maybe it could do a LITTLE better with a longer neck but after all is said and done it is what it is and does what it does!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've heard it said that in the ideal cartridge neck length should equal or exceed bullet diameter. I've also heard that bumble bees shouldn't fly, obviously they do.

It has been forty years now, and the .300 Win. just keeps getting better, so much for the "ideal" cartridge.

packrat

Posts: 594 | Location: MT. | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pack and Heavy hit on the two "faults" that were screamed about long and loud by the gun hacks. but then, those guys have to write about something. While one scenerio doesn't make a consensus, my buddy, for the above reasons, decide to have a 30-338 built. (a 30-338 is sorta a long necked 300WM) His custom built 30-338 is no more accurate than my 300.
When I reload for my 22-250, I only use about half of the neck to hold the bullet so I can get the best spacing between the bullet and the rifling.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote