New
Find
Notify
Tools

REAL 330 Dakota loads!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
More than a bit perplexed here--I know some sharp tacks frequent these halls, help me out. I'm thinking of putting together a custom 338 bore on the MRC action this winter. In looking at the Nosler #5 I notices some interesting data regarding the 338 win and 330 Dakota. How, for example, is it possible for the win to make 3020 fps with 76g RL19 and the 200g NBT in a 24" barrell while the Dakota only makes 2948 with 83g of the same powder with a 26 incher????? I have to assume that the good folks at Nosler load to similar pressures with these comparable rounds. I'm at a complete loss and can only hope that the Dakota is capable of much better performance as I have matched Nosler's velocities for the winnie with my personal rifle. Any experience with the Dakota would be appreciated as would theories as to the apparent discrepencies in the Nosler data. Thanks all!

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I have a 7mm Dakota on a rechambered Ruger #1, 26" bbl. I get much better performance than either the Hornady or Barnes manual say I should get (3250fps/160grNP/72.5gr RL22). Remember that manuals are a guide line. There are many variables that cause velocities to be high or low. Have the .330 Dakota made w/ a good quality bbl. like PacNor, Lilja, etc. & you'll be very happy w/ the results. I would expect 100-150fps over the .338Winnie.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
<338Lapua>
posted
I have a 330 Dakota in Dakota Model 76. Mine sports a 24" barrel though. I happen to shoot the 200 NBT for the TX Whitetail and velocities are better than published. I normally get around 3150-3200 with this bullet (depending on temp and other factors). That 83 grain load is VERY conservative (at least in my rifle).

I think Saeed has data on the 330 in the reloading pages of this site.

Jim

One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
Ditto 338 Lapua - I also shoot a .330 Dakota. The Nosler load data for both the .300 Dakota and the .330 Dakota is very anemic. The Nosler max published load is about the mid range load from Dakota. I can squeeze a 250gr Nosler Partition at 2900+/- fps with 82.5gr of H-4831sc from a 24" Lothar-Walter barrel. My accuracy load is 81gr of H-4831sc netting just over 2850 fps. I have never experienced any excessive pressure indicators - ie failed primer, heavy bolt lift, shortened case life, etc.

This performance pretty well matches the same load data for the .338 Ultra for the same charge weight, however, the added case capacity (and length) allows the .338 Ultra to gain another 30 to 40 fps over the .330 Dakota with a 250gr Nosler - not that the extra fps matters.

According to Dakota loading data, the .300 Dakota achieves 3250fps with a 180gr Nosler behind 81gr of RL-22. If you contact Dakota that can provide you with more �realistic� loading data to compare. Phone - 605 347-4686 Web www.dakotaarms.com

[ 11-19-2002, 23:59: Message edited by: Zero Drift ]

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys--Zero, I contacted Dakota and got their load data, makes a lot more sense. In general, is the Dakota a significant enough improvement over the win mag to justify the increased brass/die/reamer costs? I know you get the 200 fps inc., but how's case life with moderate/high end loads? Accuracy? Kind of on the fence here, the win is likely the practical decision but if I'm going to the trouble and expense to build a lifetime rifle something with a bit more jazz appeals to me. Thanks again all.

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
snowcat - I have several Dakota guns and I am in the midst of building a .300 WinMag. They are great cartridges for sure and they add a reasonable amount of energy to their respective calibers without going way over the line. My only reasoning for building a .300 WinMag was so that I have mid bore that accepts factory cartridges.

However, if I was building a .30 caliber and was not hung up on factory availability then I would certainly select the .300 Dakota. The larger case capacity simply provides you with more options. Dakota case life is a function of annealing. I have several lots of Dakota brass that make it well past 10 reloads - assuming that I anneal the necks every 4 to 6 reloads.

The dies sets are available from both RCBS and Redding - I would strongly recommend that you purchase the Redding dies with the carbide expander. I had tremendous runnout problems with the RCBS sets. Brass is pricy, however, considering the number of reloads that you can get from the brass, it is not a deal killer by any means.

Dakota was one of the first companies to fully embrace the benefits of the rimless .404 Jeffery cartridge - which seems to be all the craze now. The .300 Dakota is an exceptional launching platform. I would certainly recommend it over the other .30 calibers.

Oh, one final thought - all my Dakotas shoot lights out......

[ 11-20-2002, 01:42: Message edited by: Zero Drift ]

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
snowcat,

Given that you want your rifle to be in a caliber with some pizzaz but at the same time are expressing concerns about brass etc., perhaps the 338 Rem Ultra is the caliber for you.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<338Lapua>
posted
It took me a while to find an accurate load. Don't get wrong most loads would shoot 1.5" but I wanted 1" or less. I did find loads that will accomplish this, but it took longer than I expected (I had high expectations from this rifle). I have used my Dakota alot and wouldn't trade it for the world. I also have a 338 win mag and it is superbly accurate. To reccommend the Dakota would be hard for the reasons you stated, dies and brass are more expensive, availabilty of ammo is a far more scarce.

But you must realize my only "standard" 338 is the win mag, my others are the Dakota, Lapua, and a 338-284, and I have never had any problems taking wildcats on hunting trips, but there is always a first.

Just my thoughts and ramblings, FWIW.

Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, .338 Lapua...It seems that you like wildcats (I do too, but can't afford any). Have you taken a look at the .338-404 rifle in this forum's "Reloading Pages?"

It probably duplicates other .33's, but it sure sounds like a nice wildcat!

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Zeke>
posted
Don't know much about the Mega-Magnums. I can say that the loads listed in the Nosler manual are a bit on the wimpy side.

ZM

<338Lapua>
posted
Ray,

The 338-404 would be a nice round, but it would duplicate the Lapua (though that never stopped me before).

Zeke,

I would hardly consider the Dakota a "mega-magnum". Especially since it fits in a standard action (not magnum).

Jim

one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
Snowcat,

I have a Browning A Bolt in .338 Win. I'm pretty sure these have a 26" barrel. Using a Nosler 210gr Partition, I get a chronographed 3050 fps !!!! I don't really get any pressure signs from the load of IMR 4350 or RL 19 that I use and accuracy is .75" and better. Unless you really want an odd caliber, go with the .338 Win. Brass is cheap and readily available and you'll also get a much more efficient cartridge.

bowhuntr [Wink]

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote