Find
Notify
Tools

Forming 9x57mm brass...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted
I'm gonna try to make some 9mmx57 cases from 8mm Mauser. Is any brass better for the job.
Remington is $165/500
Winchester is $199/500

Who makes good forming dies. Huntingon is $34.
I know it can't be done by running an 8mm into a 9mm dies because I tried and have an RCBS stuck case remover on the bench.

Rich

Posts: 6492 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know it can't be done by running an 8mm into a 9mm dies because I tried and have an RCBS stuck case remover on the bench.

???
Is this actually a 9x57, or is it a 9x56MS, or a 9.3x57?

If one on the 57mm "Mauser" case, then all you're doing is expanding the mouth by about .04" or so. A tapered expander plug helps make this go more smoothly, but if you've been able to stick one in the die, then something in your methodology is desperately wrong.

If it is the 9x56MS, then the shoulder is VERY slightly smaller, and the case VERY slightly shorter. But even in this instance, a properly (lightly) lubricated case should run through the FL die without so much as a hiccup.

Let's back up and figure out what is going wrong first before buying a "specialty" die.

As to which brand of case is better, I've found little difference and always buy whatever is priced more economically.

Posts: 13246 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Never mind. I re-lubed the pad and it's working pretty well.

Here's how they measure up with a midway digital.

resized Rem 9x57mm & formed rem 8x57 to 9x57

outside neck - .380/.377
shoulder - .428/.429
head - .4665/.467

They chamber a bit tight. The shoulder looks a bit longer.

Rich

Posts: 6492 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote