THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is Tallapoosa, GA postmaster dense, anti or...?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted
I'll let you draw your own conclusions after reading the following:

After winning an auction for Sierra 6.5mm, 85 grain HPs, which are nothing more than component bullets for reloading, I sent in my money order to the gentleman. Since more than 1 box was involved, I mentioned that if he taped them together between cardboard & fit them in an 8x10 envelope, he could send them flat rate priority for 3.95 regardless of the weight. So he went in to the Tallapoosa, GA post office and asked for a flat rate envelope. The clerk asked what he was mailing. And that's when it all started.

She said these "could explode on an airplane" and could not be accepted. Short for time, he simply left and planned to send them UPS. After informing me of the events, I called the post office in Tallapoosa. The postmaster was not in but would be back shortly. I left my name & # but never got a call. The next morning, I called -- and she answered the phone. I tried desperately (and nicely) to educate her on her own regulations (asked her to explain them to me, if she so kindly would) and to let her know she could inspect the items herself to see that no live ammunition, primers or powder was involved.

SHe told me under no circumstance could she accept anything that was explosive -- and that these, by their very nature, had to be explosive and could not be allowed "on the plane." (So pardon my science/chemistry: but when does lead enclosed in a gilded metal jacket and packaged in a paper box become explosive?)

I told her that I have mail-ordered non-hazardous components for years and have never run into this before. (SHe then asked me the name of my PO. Why? Does she want to report me for having unprimed brass delivered LEGALLY from large companies such as Midway, etc?)

I thought I had made a dent. So the fellow went back, tried again -- and was shot down. She wouldn't listen to a word he said and simply sent him on his way.

So, draw your own conclusions here. ANd if you would, please click on mail and "send a link." And then send this to as many folks as you know -- esp. if they have any association with the PO.

And, if any of you want to voice your opinion to her, the Tallapoosa PO # is 770-574-7095.

[ 06-20-2002, 11:57: Message edited by: Bobby Tomek ]

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go in and visit the postmaster at your local post office, explain the situation to him and ask him to contact her. She will listen to a fellow postmaster a lot faster than she would a civilian. If that dosn't work, head up the chain of command.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
I hope you and the other guy do not let her off the hook and ship via another method. She needs some education. She needs to perform the job she was hired to do, which is to COMPLY with printed regulations.

Maybe the other guy could take in some pennies and lead wheel weights and beat the Hell out of them with a hammer to show her such things do not "explode."

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
She is ... dense, iggerunt, and stoopid!

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
She's a Feral goobermint worker, she's stupid. No more need be said.

Tell the guy to go in and get the envelope, he will be mailing paper products. That is all you need to do. When faced with monumental stupidity as you will find when dealing with the Feral goobermint it is always best to know how to get around the idiots and morons. Remember...you cannot deal with subhumans who delight in their hiding behind their own lack of neuronal connections knowing they are protected in any event by a monolithic organization that rewards said lack and punishes any original thought, that is if the Feral worker is even capable of such a thing.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
When confronted with this type of expert willingness, come back the next day, and mail extruded metal components. Let her figger it out. FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
I remember the day I recived my dcm garand from the post office,,The post master suggested I inspect the contents for "damage" before leaving.I think he was more excited about seeing it than I was.Sorry to hear it's not the same in ga. Happy shooting

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote