Find
Notify
Tools

Neck Turning tools & RCBS Dies
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Born to Hunt
posted
Should I purchase and use a neck turning tool?

I have RCBS dies for 7mm Rem Mag, 300 Rem SAUM, & .270 Win.
I just bought the 300 this weekend and noticed that it says "Neck Size Die Set" on the box. The other two have F.L. Die set on the box. Did I screw up?

Posts: 336 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You don't HAVE TO turn necks. The neck sizing die will make you better loads for your 300,..as the fireformed body of the case is left untouched. Turning necks can be used to either take off the high spots and reduce runout or to turn down brass enough to be used in tight neck chambers. If you have a factory chamber,..I doubt neck turning will show a large difference,..some,..but not huge.

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
IMO hunting calibers should have FL resizing dies.....you may choose to back it away in the press to not reset headspace but for hunting loads I want my brass Full Length resized.

I personally believe turning necks for hunting rifles is a waste of time.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Born to Hunt
posted Hide Post
Ok vapodog, I hear you, but I'm not sure I understand. If what I've heard is true, neck sizing develops more accurate loads. Why then, would I want to full size? Not being smart...on the contrary, I'm a newbie and just flat don't know.

Posts: 336 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NeckSizing doesnt touch the brass body,therefore is easier on the brass,meaning you get more reloads out of them.After a while the brass might get sticky,so you have to set back the neck by fullsizing,thats what vapor is referring to re hunting loads.He wants to make sure he is rounds are chambering.I simply run the necksized loaded ammo thru to check.

2: Neck turning: only useful for custom necks that are usually tighter than factory.You have factory-forget neck turning.
my 2c
sheephunter

Posts: 795 | Location: CA,,the promised land | Registered: 05 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
I haven't tried turning necks, yet, but have tried neck sizing. I got about 3 loads before the loaded rounds required a LOT of force to chamber and close the bolt. FL sizing those cases was a bear due to the stretch!

I didn't see any measurable, reliable gain in accuracy. If I were to shoot 100 each way, I probably could come up with a statistically measurable amount of .1" smaller groups, but who cares or has time for that? IMHO, many other things will have a larger effect on accuracy before neck sizing will be your limiting factor......

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote