New
Find
Notify
Tools

Loading Barnes TSX and Banded Solids
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just got in some 458 TSX and banded solids to load in my 458 Lott. In looking at the load data in the Barnes #3 manual compared to the Barnes #4 manual, the #4 manual looks very conservative. Does anybody have anybody have experience loading the Barnes banded solids or TSX in the 458 Lott?

Posts: 892 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
the #4 manual looks very conservative.

That's not a bad thing. There were quite a few changes between the manuals with most charge weights going down not up. This has been a trend with most loading manuals. I believe it is generally attributable to better pressure measurements. Simply a refinement.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I understand the manuals reducing load data but in this case the velocities listed are sub-458WM velocities. In the #3 manual the max loads were well below other bullets of the same weight but velocities listed were in the right range for the Lott. I would like to save powder, time and my shoulder if I can. I had the same issue with the Hornady manual with the Hornady bullets. Other powder companies listed better load data than Hornady with their own bullets. A technician at Hornady explained that they just had not done enough testing of the Lott data when they published the loading manual. I have read reviews of the banded solids on Cape Buffalo with velocities in excess of 2250fps. In the Barnes #3 manual the velocities are up to 2300fps. In the Barnes #4 manual, only a few loads exceed 2200fps.

Posts: 892 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I called Barnes bullets and talked with one of their technicians about loading for the Lott. He advised that I would probably run out of capacity before I ran into pressure problems and he was right. With the 500gr TSX and Banded solids, I ran out of powder capacity before getting velocities much over 2200fps seating to their recommended length. I am going back to the Hornady bullets and work with h4895 and IMR4320 with the soilds to see if I can get them to shoot to the same POI as the softnose using AA2520. I slowed the loads down with AA2520 and the solids still shot 3-4" below the softnose.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Barnes bullets are much longer for weight due to copper's being less dense than lead. I've wondered why they didn't make a 400 grain .458 bullet.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LWD, They did make a 400 grn. X bullet prior to the TSX, but in their misguided wisdom chose to discontinue it. That said, the 450 grn. TSX shoots lights out for me!

Posts: 135 | Location: Colorado Mtns. | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote