New
Find
Notify
Tools

mild .270 loads for grandson's 1st rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm buying a .270 Win. for my grandson. Going to shorten stock, lighten entire rifle for him. Because we have a number of .270 win. rifles in the family and have many components, I'd like to put together some VERY mild loads for him to start with using 130 gr. bullets for deer, although lighter bullets would also lessen recoil a bit. I know that Hodgson has their 60% rule using 4895, but am looking for other ideas. Where would you start? thank you.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
The reduced loads available for H4895 is great I'm not sure why you are looking elsewhere?
Lighter bullets help a little but really the reduced powder charge is where its at for reduced recoil loads.
When my oldest son was very young he was recoil sensitive so I used H4895 in his .284 Win. Worked great.
The best part was as he became more tolerant we were able to keep increasing the loads thanks to the forgiving nature of H4895.
The info is there on there website it is a great way to get the young ones going.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
If you are looking for velocities below 2000 FPS,I suggest you try UNIQUE.

We have used practically all pistol powders for reduced loads.

All work.

look up cast bullet loads for the 270 and use them with jacketed bullets.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68798 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Might I suggest that you source, if you can, nickel plated cases? Or at least something where grandson's loads can become confused with grandad's?

There are 100 grain bullets for the .270 WCF that, to my mind, would make a nicer and sweeter load than any factory .243 Winchester.

Good luck. I hope that the young man has many more years of enjoying his deer hunting.

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
R

Wink.270-130 gr. Speer
2400-28.2 gr.-2200 fps.great at 200 yds.
Blue Dot 25gr. 2150 fps. Deadly at 200yds.
Blue Dot 22.5gr. 2000 fps.1 1/2" grp at 100 yds.
H-110 30gr. 2275 fps. .75"grp. at 50 yds.
Frowner
I've never been able to get super repeatability from this rifle.
beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anecdotal info, I use the Barnes 95 grain TTSX in my 6.8s loaded in the 2900 fps range. This bullet was designed for the 6.8 and to expand at the lower velocity of that round. This bullet has performed well for me on both deer and hogs. They also make a similar 85 grain bullet that I've read good reports on, but no personal experience.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by devere:
I'm buying a .270 Win. for my grandson. Going to shorten stock, lighten entire rifle for him. Because we have a number of .270 win. rifles in the family and have many components, I'd like to put together some VERY mild loads for him to start with using 130 gr. bullets for deer, although lighter bullets would also lessen recoil a bit. I know that Hodgson has their 60% rule using 4895, but am looking for other ideas. Where would you start? thank you.

This is what I use as an alternative to H4895,rgs jc

[URL= ][img]https:/

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
great information guys: just what I was looking for. thanks all for sharing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a bullet made for the 6.8 SPC as I recall, a 110gr Accubond. I'm not a huge AB fan, but they would work and in my experience bullet weight is a good place to reduce recoil.

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AFRICAN LEADWOOD:
There is a bullet made for the 6.8 SPC as I recall, a 110gr Accubond. I'm not a huge AB fan, but they would work and in my experience bullet weight is a good place to reduce recoil.

Nosier also makes a 100 grain accubond for the 6.8, I've read good things about them as well. As you said, they would be good candidates for reduced loads.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote