THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Resizing brass? Fired in factory, now for new gun

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Resizing brass? Fired in factory, now for new gun
 Login/Join

posted
My handloads were fired in my factory M700 .308. (New Lapua brass.)

The action has since been blueprinted/accurized and rebarreled with a Rock 5-R tube by G.A. Precision.

Question: Is it sufficient to neck-size only the once-fired brass that I am now going to handload for this new rig?

Or must I also run it through the body die? (Bump back the shoulder.) FWIW, I do not have a full-length sizing die.

Any difference in safety or accuracy of the handload if I add the body die sizing operation?

Thanks in advance for your help!
mib2000

Posts: 8 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With the barrel change and blueprinting you have a completely different chamber and the brass should be completely resized in a full length die....BUT the body die set for full length shoulder bump and then neck sizing with the bullet set out for a press fit into the rifling is the way I would go for a fireform charge for the most consistant brass to get the most accuracy for paper punching or varmints....for hunting I would want a little more clearance on field use loads........remember to work the load back up as it is a completely different chamber and gun now.......good luck and good shooting-loading!!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
I'd try the previously fired cases in it. If the bolt closes easily, go ahead and shoot 'em neck sized, they'll be fine. If the bolt's hard to close, you need to bump back the shoulder.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
A Redding body die will full length resize the brass with out touching the neck area. I would use the body die. In fact i would use the body die every time i reload , just bumping back the shoulder about .002". This lets the unsized part of the neck center the round in the chamber. The part of the neck that the body die and the bushing will not size may be a problem. You may have to buy a full length sizing die.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote