Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Redding Dies
 Login/Join

posted
Does anyone have an opinion on Redding Type S Bushing Dies?? I have a .222 rem. mag. I've been using Lyman Full length die to partial resize. Have been wanting to get a set of Lee Collet made for that caliber, but someone told me to try the Reddings. I was told to get a .223 die with a .245 bushing. Do I need the neck or the full length die?? I have never used any Redding dies before, but have used the Lee collets. Do they work on the same principle??

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the Type S dies for my 22-250. They are the neck sizing set. I'm quite happy with them compared to the RCBS I was using. Runout of the loaded rounds is usually less than 0.004" which is much better than the old dies I was using. Of course good case preparation and quality brass are very important. The dies are relatively easy to set up and use. Just be careful not to let the shell holder touch the die body directly as this can cause binding problems. For the bushing the Redding site has the procedure to determine the size here: Redding Die Selection

I have not used the Lee Collet dies so cannot comment on their similarities to the Redding. You will find that there are strong proponents for each. I have found that the Reddings are better finished, but both work as advertised. Of course the Lee die set will be significantly less expensive than the Redding if that is a consideration.

Posts: 71 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I admire the quality of Redding, but I haven't had occasion to try their S dies (in part because of the "admirable" price).

I admire the design of Lee, but with their materials and quality being what they are, be prepared to treat their products as "disposable". That said, the Collet die is a magnificent design that works beautifully (once you get the burrs and flaws worked out of it), until it prematurely wears out, at which point you go buy another one.

If your loading volume is relatively small, you might favor the Lee. If you load a particular caliber in large volume, you might favor the Redding.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think I can save you a little heartache here. Redding does not make the S-type bushing die in .222Rem. Mag. I was in the same position. You can get the bushing neck die from L.E. Wilson in Washington state. They make tremendous products. You don't need a standard press. You can do the job with a rawhide mallet ($13.00) and buy an arbor press later if you feel you need it. A word to the wise-buy a couple hundred extra cases now for your .222Rem. Mag. Remington is the only maker of cases, and it looks like they're going to stop production. You could be up a creek if they do. So long as you have brass you're in business. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hogyld, I've got about 1400 cases of .222Rem mag, some of which is primed.

packrat

Posts: 594 | Location: MT. | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote