Find
Notify
Tools

Forster Off Spec.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Ralph Hyrlik
posted
For those of you who ream the inside of your case necks, are Forster bits supposed to be larger in diameter than their designation to account for brass springback?

For example, are .223" bits really .226", or are they off spec?

I bought a .223" bit and it is really .226". A .224" bit is .2265". Is this normal?

One of Us
Picture of AZ Pete
posted Hide Post
Since no one has replied......

I have no personal experience with the reamer, however I do have good luck with Forster. E-Mail or call them, they have been very responsive to me in the past, and know their products. They do stand behind their products as well.

Good luck.

NRA Patron Life Member

Posts: 310 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would never ream inside, only outside neck ream and only then if you have a custom chamber that requires it otherwise your overworking your brass each time you fire it...

I have to outside ream my 6x45 as it has a zero tollerance chamber, actually I can run a 223 through the die, outside neck ream and I really don't even have to resize to shoot it, but it gets a better purchase of the bullet if I do...If I don't outside neck ream that one then it won't chamber....

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ralph Hyrlik
posted Hide Post
Why would you not ream the inside of the neck?

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why would you not ream the inside of the neck?

When you ream the case neck ideally you want to even up the thicknes of the neck wall. The inside reamers follow the path of least resistance taking the same amount of brass off all the way around the neck. The out side reamers have a adjustable cutter that can be set to just hit the "high" spots on the neck, evening up the case wall while turning the neck to a desired diameter around a mandrel. The result is more uniform neck tension and more concentric ammo.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ralph Hyrlik
posted Hide Post
But I want to remove the in iternal taper as well as the doughnut, reason being that bullets start easily, but get progressively more difficult to seat the deeper they go. Outside neck turning does not help at all. It is the neck/shoulder junction that is the problem.

One of Us
Picture of BigRx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ralph Hyrlik:
For those of you who ream the inside of your case necks, are Forster bits supposed to be larger in diameter than their designation to account for brass springback?

For example, are .223" bits really .226", or are they off spec?

I bought a .223" bit and it is really .226". A .224" bit is .2265". Is this normal?

I believe this is right Ralph. Forster sizes these for reaming a fired case from your chamber and the .226" is for a minimum neck clearance over the bullet.(or a .223" bullet)

If you are forming cases this can be a pain and I have shot reduced loads and have even sized (with different size buttons)to duplicate what my outside fired caseneck mikes. Firing is by far the best to allow the inside reamer to do its job right which is remove excess material and get the neck thickness more parallel. Then outside turning will uniform the thickness if needed.

You are right the inside neck reamers remove any taper and the "donut" as you call it from reforming to a shorter casing.

BigRx

Posts: 208 | Location: Idaho Rockies | Registered: 25 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ralph Hyrlik
posted Hide Post
That explains it.

I did not know they were meant to be used on a fireformed case.

What about those supplied by L.E. Wilson for their reamer? Their website does not have any instructions for inside neck-reaming.

One of Us
Picture of BigRx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ralph Hyrlik:
What about those supplied by L.E. Wilson for their reamer? Their website does not have any instructions for inside neck-reaming.

Ralph, I have no experience with L.E. Wilson as to their reamers.
I would mike the Wilson reamers if it was me. the small clearance reamers (.17-.25) usually run .002" to .0025 over bullet diameter with larger calibers running .003" over or so. This would tell you if they are designed to use as Forster is. I have seen some inside neck reaming equipment that cuts uniform neck wall thicknesses by having a piloted hole into a die (RCBS forming set) Mike and see what you have would be my suggestion.

BigRx

Posts: 208 | Location: Idaho Rockies | Registered: 25 December 2004Reply With Quote