New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Forster Co-Ax....
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Being a not-entirely-practical person, I have just replaced my Lyman T-Mag 2 turret press with a Forster Co-Ax.

This may be a move I live to regret, as I am not very well organized. There's a lot to be said for having all your dies on one turret, and adjusted. And I have no bones to pick with Lyman; as far as I can tell, this press has been producing loads much more accurate than I am a shooter.

Fr'instance... I had one turret devoted to 6.5x55. A ram priming die, a RCBS full length die, a Redding competition bushing die, a Lee collet die, and two Forster Ultra Seaters, one adjusted for the Hornady A-Max 140, and one for the Hornady 95 V-Max.

So far, I've, well, only bolted the Forster down to the bench. I believe this was successful. I like red, and it sort of matches my Hornady loading blocks.

LOL.

I have a couple of questions, though; or why would I be posting?

My search has suggested that the Forster Co-Ax will work with Hornady die locking rings. In addition to the Forster rings.

Is anyone else using the Hornady rings with success?

Are there any caveats about using Hornady die locking rings in the Forster press?

And secondly--and I'm a little reluctant to admit this--my Lee collet die doesn't want to work in the new press.

It was sweet--as sweet as a gazillion things I shouldn't mention here--but now seems reluctant to actually swage the case neck on the mandrel. Which is to say, I get to a certain point, and the handle doesn't want to compress the petals around the case neck.

All I've read suggests that the Forster press has lots of torque, and I'm not really eager to force the issue.

Any suggestions?

flaco

N.B. I know, I know... this forum is heavily tilted towards RCBS. But I am here to tell you that the Lyman T-Mag has been great.

Were I to get another different press, it would only be the Redding turret.

But my boss, who sells and builds target rifles--and has a more than decent record in competition target shooting--has a Forster.

If you read the posts, everyone who has a Forster loves it.

And it's red?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flaco:
My search has suggested that the Forster Co-Ax will work with Hornady die locking rings. In addition to the Forster rings.

Is anyone else using the Hornady rings with success?

I am. I prefer the Hornady rings to the Forster, but mostly because the Forster screws are made out of aluminum, and are easy to overtighten (speak of ham-fisted Roll Eyes).

quote:

Are there any caveats about using Hornady die locking rings in the Forster press?

None that I know of.

quote:
And secondly--and I'm a little reluctant to admit this--my Lee collet die doesn't want to work in the new press.

It was sweet--as sweet as a gazillion things I shouldn't mention here--but now seems reluctant to actually swage the case neck on the mandrel. Which is to say, I get to a certain point, and the handle doesn't want to compress the petals around the case neck.

All I've read suggests that the Forster press has lots of torque, and I'm not really eager to force the issue.

Any suggestions?

Honestly, this sounds like an adjustment issue to me. The Collet die is finicky to get to work properly, but I can't see why it should work better in one press than the next - assuming it has been adjusted for the press in question.

You can adjust the Collet die downward in the press until a sized case starts showing increased (measured in .001"s...) diameter at the shoulder. Just before you reach this point is where you'll get the most sizing. Given you are used to the Collets, you'll probably feel when the collet closes, and thus know how much pressure to apply. Finally, a polished down decapping madrel is the last resort to obtain more neck tension.

Good luck with your new press. I consider it the Mercedes of reloading presses. I know it may be hard to switch over from the Lyman turret press, but next time you operate the press, try to compare the slop between the two - you'll soon start to appreciate the Forster, in spite of its idiosyncracies...

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i use a co-ax press and other presses. once a die is adjusted, slipping it into the press and start working, is just as fast as a turret press.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by orlop:
i use a co-ax press and other presses. once a die is adjusted, slipping it into the press and start working, is just as fast as a turret press.

... and, in the CoAx, you can properly and easily adjust a die (e.g. for partial full length sizing) as access to the die lock ring set screw is a LOT easier than it is on a turret head full of other dies.

CoAx all the way - at least if the alternative is a Lyman T-Mag. (Please don't mention that I might be slightly opinionated... Wink ).

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flaco:
Were I to get another different press, it would only be the Redding turret.

Agreed.

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
There's no law saying a person can only have one press bolted to the table at a time. Especially if you seat and crimp in 2 steps it is handy, but then so is a turret at times too.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only thing to watch when using a Hornady lock ring on the co-ax, is to make sure that one of the flats faces you. If it has the flats on the sides, the co-ax spring detent may not catch it, and the die can slide out toward you in use. Don't ask me how I know...

My Forster lock rings have steel screws, but the ring is aluminum. And the screws are Phillips head, instead of allen head on the Hornady. Tightening the forster ring's clamp screw requires considerable force on the screwdriver to keep the Phillips bit from camming out. The allen head screws on the Hornady lock rings do not require much force. On a regular screw in die system, that wouldn't make much difference, but when setting up the dies on the co-ax, there is nothing to resist the die and lock ring twisting away from you, so the allen head screws work much better. One of these days, I'm going to take one of my Forster rings down to the hardware store and pick out some allen head screws for them.

Andy

Posts: 315 | Location: Arlington TX | Registered: 21 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good thinking on replacing the Forster die lock ring screws, Big Jake. I work for a target riflesmith, and we have hordes of weird screws around. And a thread gauge to measure them.

And I appreciate the comment on the Hornady flats. This is just what I was looking for.

Mark- I know there's no law against two presses, and I'm a little sentimental about taking down the Lyman. I came back to reloading after a 20 year hiatus--I wasn't that advanced 20 years ago, anyway--and am very glad I got the Lyman turret. I load multiple chamberings, and it's just easier to have all the dies on the turret.

I'm so disorganized I lose things. LOL.

But my bench space is limited.

Ouch!

Thanks, mho.

As you might guess, there were a few dies that I never could properly tighten the lock ring screw. On the turret. This was especially disconcerting with the Redding full length competition bushing die. As it must be removed to change bushings. In fact, the Redding instructions warn against using a turret press. Apparently, even their own.

As a general observation, if you read my list of dies on the 6.5x55 turret, you'll see an evolution of reloading approaches.

To be honest, my two very best groups were shot with brand new full length sized cases.

I knew I wanted to move to neck sizing, so I used the RCBS neck die for almost a year. But it was obvious the expander ball was moving too much brass.

I purchased the Lee collet and Redding bushing die at about the same time. Both have worked, and worked well, no matter the Redding warnings about turret presses.

Neither proved superior to the other.

In terms of my organizational deficiencies, I think I've found a solution.

The boss has some yellow plastic boxes with dividers. I don't know where he found them--he loves McMaster-Carr, MSC, Travers, etc.--but each is perfect for holding six dies.

Anyway, now all I have to do is adjust the dies, and.... reload some rounds.

flaco

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigJakeJ1s:
The only thing to watch when using a Hornady lock ring on the co-ax, is to make sure that one of the flats faces you. If it has the flats on the sides, the co-ax spring detent may not catch it, and the die can slide out toward you in use. Don't ask me how I know...

Hey Andy, what on earth is the "co-ax spring detent "?? Do I have on of these on my CoAx press?? Might Forster have added a spring loaded mechanism to keep the die in place since I bought my press 3-4 years ago?? That would be an improvement.
- mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
flaco, know what you mean about the lovers of green presses! I've asked several if they ever heard of any brand of cast iron press breaking or wearing out - I never had anyone say "yes", usually just get a blank stare! Anyway, never thought of using Lee dies in the Co-Ax but see how the Lee lock rings are a potential problem.

Since ALL of the ram pressure in a Co-Ax goes to the die lock rings, the thin aluminum "O" ring type nuts on Lee dies may be too weak to take that much pressure, even tho they work very well on conventional presses. Think I'd use the heavier Forster or Hornady rings on all Lee sizer dies for your new press.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim C. <><:
I've asked several if they ever heard of any brand of cast iron press breaking or wearing out - I never had anyone say "yes", usually just get a blank stare!

~5 years ago I put a Lee Collet Die in a Rockchucker press. That press was manufactured ~9 years ago. I adjusted the die to toggle at top dead center with ~ 100 pounds of force on the end of the handle. The main casting of the press frame blew out on the bottom around the holes that are used to pin the swing arms. RCBS asked for it to be sent back. They sent me a new Rockchucker package with accessories. The next year the Rockchuckers I saw being sold got beefier in that area.

The ratio of handle effort to ram force becomes infinite [if there was no friction] and so the forces within the press become infinite [if there were no friction] as the press goes over top dead center. If there is something screwed into the press that can take a few thousand pounds of force, that is screwed in so that the force is when the press is right at top dead center, the forces inside the press will be
F = 2000 pounds / [infinity + friction]
In a well lubricated press, those are big forces.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
only 1 press!!!!!!! holy benchroom batman-------i think at the moment i've got 7 bolted on the bench

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
only 1 press!!!!!!! holy benchroom batman-------i think at the moment i've got 7 bolted on the bench

Holy Hannukah, Butchloc... I share your consternation!!I knew a guy one time who CLAIMED he only had one press...but then, he only ever had one girl friend too. Guess one lever manipulation session was all he could handle in any given day. Razzer

I've reduced the number of presses currently mounted on my benches to 5, including 3 progressives. But, I have 7 more ready to go, including 2 Stars and 2 more Dillons if the situation calls for such.

What is with these guys practicing moderation and practicality? That's almost un-American!!

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mho:
Hey Andy, what on earth is the "co-ax spring detent "?? Do I have on of these on my CoAx press?? Might Forster have added a spring loaded mechanism to keep the die in place since I bought my press 3-4 years ago?? That would be an improvement.
- mike

Just to the left of the die slot on mine is a vertical threaded hole (maybe 1/4" dia) that has an allen head set screw type doohicky with a spring loaded ball on the bottom. The ball slides over the top of the die ring as you insert the die.

My wife bought be my co-ax last Christmas (yep, she's a keeper, and I'll keep the wife too), so maybe it is a new feature.

Andy

Posts: 315 | Location: Arlington TX | Registered: 21 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Since ALL of the ram pressure in a Co-Ax goes to the die lock rings, the thin aluminum "O" ring type nuts on Lee dies may be too weak to take that much pressure, even tho they work very well on conventional presses. Think I'd use the heavier Forster or Hornady rings on all Lee sizer dies for your new press.

The lee lock rings will not work on a co-ax. The lee lock ring relies on the compression of the o-ring between the lock ring and the top of a traditional press to hold the lock ring in place. There would be no such compression in the co-ax, or if there was, you would not be able to slide it in and out of slot the co-ax.

I never liked the Lee lock(less) rings on the regular presses anyway. I never can remember to grab the die by the die body, not the ring, when screwing it in/out of the press, so the lock ring would always move, destroying the setup.

Andy

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
- mike

Mine is just like this too Mike, and mine is about the same vintage as yours....

Just to the left of the die slot on mine is a vertical threaded hole (maybe 1/4" dia) that has an allen head set screw type doohicky with a spring loaded ball on the bottom. The ball slides over the top of the die ring as you insert the die.

My wife bought be my co-ax last Christmas (yep, she's a keeper, and I'll keep the wife too), so maybe it is a new feature.

Andy

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Andy and Don,

I'll make sure I examine my CoAx to see if this is a feature I might have overlooked. At present, my dies are simply slid into the press, but there is no device or mechanism holding them there. Interesting.

- mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Andy and Don,

I'll make sure I examine my CoAx to see if this is a feature I might have overlooked. At present, my dies are simply slid into the press, but there is no device or mechanism holding them there. Interesting.

- mike

You may just not have it screwed in far enough. But you can also screw it in too far, and then you can't slide the die in at all.

Enjoy,

Andy

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
quote:
- mike

Mine is just like this too Mike, and mine is about the same vintage as yours....

Andy[/QUOTE]

Mine is late `80s - early `90s vintage and has the ball detante, I believe they all do or at least the ones Forster has built.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Happened to be downstairs next to my co-ax press this afternoon and recalled this topic, so took a look at it.

It also has the allen screw/ball detent system decribed above in this thread. This particular press is so old it was likely on the table in the other room during the "next-to-last-supper".

I suspect all of them were made with it.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
know what you mean about the lovers of green presses! I've asked several if they ever heard of any brand of cast iron press breaking or wearing out - I never had anyone say "yes", usually just get a blank stare!

Here is my version of the RCBS Rockchucker and the infinite mechanical advantage. I decided that I would swage the head of some .444 Marlin cases down to be a close fit in a .303 Lee- Enfield chamber. It was my theory that .303 brass that did not have to expand so much ahead of the solid head would last longer. For the swaging I used an open top .44 Mag Herter's die and an open top .44 Mag RCBS die. Why two? I split both under the force of swaging the solid head from .464 down to .459.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AZ Pete
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

The lee lock rings will not work on a co-ax. The lee lock ring relies on the compression of the o-ring between the lock ring and the top of a traditional press to hold the lock ring in place. There would be no such compression in the co-ax, or if there was, you would not be able to slide it in and out of slot the co-ax.

I never liked the Lee lock(less) rings on the regular presses anyway. I never can remember to grab the die by the die body, not the ring, when screwing it in/out of the press, so the lock ring would always move, destroying the setup.

Andy

Andy, the Lee collet die that I use for .308 works just fine in my Co-Ax....

By the way gents, my Co-Ax is 1970 vintage and has the detent for snapping the dies in.

NRA Patron Life Member

Posts: 309 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote