New
Find
Notify
Tools

RCBS Dies labeled "22 Var"
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I picked these up in a pile of stuff from the estate of an older gentleman. Got some nice old finds, but not sure just what I have with these dies. Came in a small RCBS cardboard box and labeled as "22 Var". Any info is appreciated.

Posts: 167 | Location: Rockwall (Dallas), TX | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Trouble:
I picked these up in a pile of stuff from the estate of an older gentleman. Got some nice old finds, but not sure just what I have with these dies. Came in a small RCBS cardboard box and labeled as "22 Var". Any info is appreciated.

I believe the forerunner of the 22-250 was called the 22 varmiter Wink try a google search or look in a old loading manual.

Posts: 2357 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
22 Varminter MAY equal 22-250 Remington. Remember this is from when it was a wildcat and specs may differ from the standardized version. I would call RCBS and ask about it.

Bruce

Posts: 217 | Location: SW WA | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Lyman manual I was looking at earlier mentioned a former wildcat with the name "22-250 Varmint"... I suspect that is the same cartridge as the "22 Var" but i am not positive. Thanks for the help.

Posts: 167 | Location: Rockwall (Dallas), TX | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
My original 22-250 was called varminter. My dies are stamped that and the year 64. The dies are still in use today. Enjoy beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is there a year stamped on the die?

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The dies are stamped "65". So I guess when compared to Bartsche's mine are the new model... Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remove the decapping rod and sizing ball and make a die casting like a chamber cast and then you'll know just what you have.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Burgie
posted Hide Post
quote:
craigster

craigster good idea, I am going to save that for my files.

Thanks

burgie