New
Find
Notify
Tools

Carrying hundguns in vehicles
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I know this is not on topic with this board, but I'm not sure where to get this information and thought someone here might be able to help me. I'm looking for a site that will tell me the laws of the various states on carrying a handgun in a vehicle.
I'm planning on making a trip from South Carolina to Texas and would like to carry my handgun. I'll be driving I-20 west and need to know what changes to make along the way to stay within the laws of the states in question.

Thanks,
Punch

If you can't have fun when you go out, STAY HOME !

Posts: 234 | Location: 40 miles east of Dallas | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You might try the Brady Campaign's website.
They actually have quite a bit of information.

In California, it used to be you could not have a loaded firearm within reach of the driver.

Now you have to have both ammo and guns in seperate containers in a locked 'box' ie: trunk.

-Spencer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
SmilerCheck on states that will reconize a conceled weapon permit from other states. More are reconizing the permit from another state. But then you have some places that are controlled by communists that don't even want you to drive a SUV let alone have a firearm in it. The NRA has some good info on it. I am not crossing any state line unless my 9MM with 2-15 shot clips are with me.

Posts: 671 | Location: none | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Look here............

http://www.packing.org/news/article.jsp/74

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Puncher:
I know this is not on topic with this board, but I'm not sure where to get this information and thought someone here might be able to help me. I'm looking for a site that will tell me the laws of the various states on carrying a handgun in a vehicle.
I'm planning on making a trip from South Carolina to Texas and would like to carry my handgun. I'll be driving I-20 west and need to know what changes to make along the way to stay within the laws of the states in question.

Thanks,
Punch

The NRA has all gun laws of all states on their website! Join the NRA!!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most of what I've found so far is relative to carrying concealed weapons. My request is for laws concerning transporting across state lines with the handgun unloaded and locked in the trunk.

Posts: 234 | Location: 40 miles east of Dallas | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Puncher - Try a "soft cover" guide called, "Traveler's Guide to the Firearm Laws of the Fifty States" by J. Scott Kappas, Esq. (lawyer). It is the fourth edition written October 1999 for 2000. I bought mine out of a Cabela's catalog. It may be a little dated, but it provides a handy reference on a bewildering amount of laws from state to state. Regards, Mags

Posts: 152 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 15 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Better check the NRA site to be sure, but I believe that there is a federeal pre-emption that says you can carry an unloaded and secured firearm from anyplace you can legally have it, to any other place you can legally have it.

Prove all things; hold fast to that which is good.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it's unloaded and locked in the trunk I don't think anyone will bother you, unless your smoking left handed cigarrets, then they may look in your trunl

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That would be trunk,not trunl

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys, for the help. As for the left handed smokes, that don't go on here.

Punch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to packing.org and check state by state. At the top of each states page on the right there's a "Gun friendly peaceable journey laws" Yes or No. Then scroll down the page 'til you get to Car/Gun law summary to get the detail.

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Just load the dang thing and hide it where it can be seen but, you can get to it easily if a problem arises. If you are gonna carry it unloaded or hide it in the trunk, You might as well leave it at the house.

An unloaded gun is useless!

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
GET YOURSELF A CHL Then it gets much simpler, and it is there if you need it.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From Gunowners.org

Rep. Hostettler to Introduce Concealed Carry Bill this Week
-- Please urge your Rep. to cosponsor his bill

Gun Owners of America
8001 Forbes Place Suite 102
Springfield VA 22151
Phone: 703-321-8585 / FAX: 703-321-8408

Tuesday, March 8, 2005

Rep. John Hostettler (R-IN) will soon be reintroducing his national reciprocity bill that protects the right of citizens to carry their firearms into other states.

Hostettler's language has a huge advantage over other reciprocity-type bills in that it does not punish states for being too pro-gun. His bill would not penalize citizens from states like Alaska and Vermont, because his proposal doesn't require a citizen to first get a permit to enjoy reciprocity in another state.

Most carry bills in Congress seek to establish reciprocity ONLY between gun control states. These bills force people to jump through officially-mandated hurdles and get carry permits before they can carry firearms into neighboring states.

But now that more and more states are debating whether to adopt Alaska/Vermont style carry laws, it is important that the federal government NOT penalize citizens from those states.

Rep. Hostettler's bill, known as the Secure Access to Firearms Enhancement (SAFE) Act, is just what America needs. His draft would allow law-abiding citizens who can legally carry in their home state -- even without a permit -- to carry all across the country.

And, of course, for those gun owners who already HAVE concealed carry permits, the SAFE Act will provide complete nationwide reciprocity.

ACTION: Please ask your Representative to cosponsor Rep. Hostettler's concealed carry bill, the Secure Access to Firearms Enhancement (SAFE) Act of 2005. This bill -- which will probably be introduced on Thursday, so it doesn't yet have a bill number! -- will guarantee Americans the ability to carry firearms from one state into the next.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Turtle,
That's the trick!

Reloader,
You can apply that "Just do it" mentality to firearms laws if you want to, but I'm gonna check things out. I like my firearms AND my freedom.
BTW, with Turtle's suggestion, I found out that totin' a firearm around in Texas will get your duh mass put in jail!

one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
quote:
I found out that totin' a firearm around in Texas will get your duh mass put in jail

Only if it is visible. From the same packing.org page on Texas:

quote:
The following was taken from the Texas DPS FAQ Page.
Q: Can I still carry a handgun without a permit while traveling?
A: Yes. The concealed handgun law augments existing state weapons laws but does not replace them. The offense of unlawfully carrying a weapon does not apply if you are traveling.

Q: What does concealed mean? Can't I carry my handgun in plain view?
A: No. The weapon can't be visible, and its presence can't be discernible through ordinary observation.

Keep it in the car, and you are both fine and legal...even loaded. IF you have a CHL, you are fine to carry if it is not visible.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mags:
Puncher - Try a "soft cover" guide called, "Traveler's Guide to the Firearm Laws of the Fifty States" by J. Scott Kappas, Esq. (lawyer). It is the fourth edition written October 1999 for 2000. I bought mine out of a Cabela's catalog. It may be a little dated, but it provides a handy reference on a bewildering amount of laws from state to state. Regards, Mags

I believe this guide (very good info by the way) is updated yearly.

Roi

Posts: 626 | Location: The soggy side of Washington State | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by denton:
Better check the NRA site to be sure, but I believe that there is a federeal pre-emption that says you can carry an unloaded and secured firearm from anyplace you can legally have it, to any other place you can legally have it.

You better not try this in New Jersey. I won't go into details but New Jersey doesn't even allow Peace Officers from other states to "carry" in the state even if they are on duty and traveling through the damn place.

Best to check as it's not a good idea to be convected of a felony if your a "gun person", 'cause then ya won't be eek2

Posts: 626 | Location: The soggy side of Washington State | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote