New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet Difference
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a box of .338 cal bullets I am not sure of. They are the Hornady #3320 .338 caliber, 225gr SP-RP Interlock. They are a soft point with the jacket covering the bullet except for a small portion on the front of the tip - meanwhile, the picture on the box, in the Hornady reloading manual, and at the Hornady website shows a soft point with a more exposed lead tip.

When I seat the bullet into a .340 Weatherby case (new brass at 2.815"), and follow the OAL specified in the book, 3.655", the cannelure on the bullet is well above the case mouth. When I seat to the cannelure, the OAL is 3.590".

With little differences I normally wouldn't worry, but with the seating difference and the bullet not looking like the published one it made me pause.

Ideas? I have pinged Hornady as well.

[IMG:left] [/IMG]

[IMG:right] [/IMG]

sputster

Posts: 760 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
Wetherby rifles have a very long throat or lead. This is a plus for you as the bullet is going to get a "run-up" into the origin of the rifling.
You can crimp onto the cantalure or seat it out. It really wont make a big diff one way or the other.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 448 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok, good to know - thanks. I think I got the pictures working right now.

sputster

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You can't rely on pictures on boxes or in books. Or OALs listed either. Make your ammo fit your rifle, as as stated above, Wbys have such long throats that you could seat them out until they damn near fall out and still not touch riflling, but then they might not fit your mag; Like I said, make the ammo fit your particular rifle.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did you weigh the bullets ? That picture looks different than any Hornady I've ever seen. More like a Rem core-lock to me.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did weigh them at 225gr and they are .338 in diameter. I agree that the tip doesn't look like a Hornady, reminded me more of a Grand Slam. Thanks for the advice dpcd.

sputster

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
That picture looks different than any Hornady I've ever seen. More like a Rem core-lock to me.

Texas Killartist read my mind! I would bet a cold Bud against a button hole that bullet is a Cor-lokt Remmy, but that's okay as I have shot and used CLs and they work no matter what the guys that spend big bucks on projectiles say.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
The only time I'm concerned about where the channelure on a bullet lies is when I'm planning on crimping. Otherwise, I could care less where it is located.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did get a reply back from the Hornady tech folks:

"You will want to seat the bullet to the cannelure. When we changed the bullet to the Recoil Proof tip this will shorten the COL."

So will seat as needed - I agree, as I don't normally crimp these rounds. Again, good call dpcd.

Thanks all.

sputster