THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who loads 9.3 x 74R? How do you trim cases?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MMM
posted
Looking for tips. Will start loading soon for my new Ruger #1. I have bullets and powders on hand for my 9.3 x 62s, just need dies and an accurate way to trim cases. Any advice/pointers appreciated, thanks,namsag.

Posts: 172 | Location: north MS | Registered: 28 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MMM
posted Hide Post
What I meant to say is ,where do you get a case holder or die to trim this cartridge? I cannot find one.

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Using most (any ?) types of trimmers, a 9,3 (.366) pilot is easy to turn down from a .375 pilot. A unmodified 9 Makarov pilot may probably work too. In a pinch and while not as accurate, a std. 9 mm or .38 pilot will do (if you don't crimp your bullets, you won't even feel any difference).

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Case holder and die? I use a Lyman trimmer that uses neither. I make pilots.
But actually, I never trim them. They go for many loads without it.

Posts: 17182 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can trim with a regular forester die..but if one wants to crimp cases I always suggest the more accurate and inexpensive File Trim die from RCBS..It not really a problem either way..

You can get by just fine by using a new factory unfired case to set your trimmer for length, then use a button that's close to a 9.3..I have used a 338 and a 35 button, both are fairly close and I had good results with both. You can also chuck up a button in your drill press and using a file and wet/dry paper cut it down to a perfect fit I suppose.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41986 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MMM
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice guys I am going to look into your suggestions. Happy shooting.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I offer to modify any trimmer pilot for free. To whatever dimension you want.

Posts: 17182 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of steyrsteve
posted Hide Post
I have used the Lyman trimmer, the orange one, for 34 years now. It uses a universal shell holder (pop in the case, turn the handle to lock the cam-lock, trim, reverse the handle, and pop out). The .36 pilot I bought on ebay is, I believe, from RCBS. All works without a hitch.
I recently bought 73 pieces of new, primed Winchester 9.3x74R brass (European, I think) most of which had slight neck nicks. My old Lyman, using the electric drill attachment, trimmed those that needed it in short order. No problema.

NRA Life Member
DRSS-Claflin Chapter
Mannlicher Collectors Assn
KCCA
IAA

Posts: 473 | Location: central Kansas | Registered: 26 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MMM
posted Hide Post
Thanks Steve, and dpcd, thank you sir for your kind offer. I have an L. E. Wilson trimmer setup and I found out they can make me a case holder, looks like I will be set.