THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Ruger 7 x 57 accuracy load, with 140 grains bullets

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger 7 x 57 accuracy load, with 140 grains bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have two Ruger 77 Mk 2s in 7 x 57. Don't know why but neither one group that well with almost anything you feed them.

However the first one fell in love with 40 grains of IMR 3031 and a 175 grain Remington SP.
went from a 3 to 5 inch groups at 100 yds, to one hole groups with that load.

The other one I found out playing with it today seems to love 42 grains of W 748 and a 140 grain Remington SP.

I don't know if my two Rugers are an example of Rugers in general in this caliber. It has only been a problem with these two Rugers. My Winchester Featherweight in 7mm Mauser shoots tight groups with anything you feed it.

Both these accurate loads were seated to the cannelure instead of just touching the lands. These are my only two rifles than don't seem to be impressed with touching the lands on bullet seating.

Info just passing it on. Load has not been chronographed and showed no pressure signs. So I have no idea if it is overloaded according to a book setting on one of our resident critics shelves. I was busy looking for accuracy first, and that is what this load gave me.

One the other hand, skip trying H 4895 ( 40 to 42 grains ) with this bullet if you have a Ruger 7 x 57, in a Mark 2. It will give you Minute of Moose at 100 yds. [Razz] [Roll Eyes] [Cool]

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
I have only owned two Rugers in 7X57mm, an old "round-top" M77 from 1972, and a No.1A made in "the 200th year of American Liberty". Both have proven extremely accurate with all ammo I've shot in them, including 20 rounds of old Rem. 175-grain loads that shot into about 1" @ 100 yards!

So they're not all inaccurate!! [Wink]

<Fish Springs>
posted
My 7x57 Ruger M77 really likes 140 grain Nosler BT's and 48 grains of IMR 4350. Data provided by Nosler. Velocity is ~2850 SD SD of 8 or so. This load shoots so well that it has become the load for this rifle: coyotes, deer, antelope. This load will crowd 1/2 inch at 100 yards.

The Nosler Partition 140 grain is not quite as accurate, but is a 1:1 replacement when a tougher bullet is desired. This one will shoot ~1.25 inches on the same bench and day as the 140 will shoot .60 inch.

Happy Shooting

[ 09-09-2003, 07:13: Message edited by: Fish Springs ]

one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
A lot of 7x57's are throated for long 173/175 RN's, and don't like certain other bullets.

I had one of the "200th Year of American Liberty" M77's, and about went nuts trying to figure out why it liked 140 Nosler Partitions, but not the 140 Solid Base (forerunner of the Ballistic Tip). It loved the 145 Speer Boattails and despised 145 Flat Bases. 154 Hornady RN's did well, but not 154 Spires.

It must have something to do with that long throating, and the fact that some bullets are more slab-sided than others. At least, that's what I'm blaming it on. [Smile]

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like the hit or miss on accuracy in the Rugers, is a RUGER THING!

Oh well, we all run better on one brand of beer or coffee, than another brand. So we can't bitch at Ruger rifles too much!

[Razz] [Roll Eyes] [Cool]

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote