Find
Notify
Tools

Lyman Spar T press !
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Concho42
posted
Got this at yard sale , missing Auto primer feed ! been on net trying to locate one ! No luck . Lyman site has no listing that I can find .

Don't take the chip !

Posts: 578 | Location: PA | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My brother had one. The carousel on the top is red right? With six or eight holes?

AFAIK it just uses the same sort of thing as the RCBS Rockchucker and an arm with a leaf spring in the press body?

Mid this was thirty years ago...so I might have misremembered!

Tried to find a picture on the web to see if t was...but found this on "castboolits". Hope it helps!

quote:
Lyman's current primer arm fits and works on the Spar-T press. At least the two I have, Sons share one. Primer catchers are an accessory to be on the look out for. My experience has been that Lyman customer service can sell you every thing that the Spar-T press needs, except the used primer catcher.

Posts: 6818 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Concho42
posted Hide Post

The 6 station press at right has the auto primer attached , That is what I need ! Finally received a E-Mail from Lyman they have been extinct 18 years !

Don't take the chip !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Supposedly (..and I do not know this from personal experience,,just passing it along),,some of the current mfg, or very recent mfg Lyman press component priming arms will fit on the Spar-T and the Spartan press as well.

Do a search on 'Lyman spar t press auto prime' or close to that and you'll probably find a few posts with info.
Maybe it'll help out.

Locating an original is most likely just a chance find in an accumulation of someones old reloading equiptment.

I didn't have the big bucks for the Spar-T back in '64 so I had to settle for the Spartan single station. No auto primer feed either.
Used it to make up loads for my $25 US1917 Enfield rifle.
The press is still cranking out reloads..the rifle is long gone!

Picture of budman461
posted Hide Post
enfield,

i use a spar-t for lotsa years...never cared much for "semi-progressive" feature which slowed me down. i preferred sizing then belling cases, priming with a lee priming tool, powdering and then bullet seating/crimping.

the spar-t's primer magazine rocks back and forth with the primer arm during use...when i got my first dillon, i noted that similar primer tubes are used, but are shielded by a steel guard.

year later i think it was an article in handloader magazine that alerted me to the possibility of a mishap setting off primers in an unsupported tube leading to nasty injuries...at about eye level in the spar-t.

Posts: 23 | Location: n.central pennsylvania | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My first press, in '65, was a Spar-T and I got the auto primer feed too. It still sits on one end of my bench and rarely gets used these days but it's not for sale, some 46 years of faithful service is not to be forgotten!

I didn't like the head spring on the Lyman so about '85 I got a sturdy single stage with compound toggle linkage for rifle loading, which is most of what I've always done.

Got tired of the old simple toggle linkage, took too much pressure, so I converted the thing to a compound toggle a few years ago, soon after I got a small welder. Like it much better now!

Lyman's brass tube auto-primer feed is the snoothest, most reliable tube fed system I've ever seen but if you can't find the correct one (it mounts on the primer arm as Concho's photo shows) I'd suggest you try a Lee Autoprime hand primer.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim C. <><:
) I'd suggest you try a Lee Autoprime hand primer.

I have a neighbor who is selling a Lyman all american turret that Ive been toying with the idea of picking up for my pistol loads and such.

But no matter what press I may ad on. I will always stick with the hand held primer tool.. Tried the priming on the press thing, I even have the lee auto prime setup for a press, (which may be a good option for your 6 hole turret) the hand held is just a better way to go IMHO.

Posts: 10160 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
the hand held is just a better way to go IMHO.

I won't argue a matter of personal choice!

I have two of Lee's tiny "Reloader" presses, one has a univeral decapper and the other has the AutoPrime II, as well as two original AutoPrimes, large & small. Which tools I use depends on what I'm doing and how much of it I'm doing.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Concho42
posted Hide Post
Fellows I have a print I made and when I finish making the auto prime body I will post the picture here ! Thanks Concho

Don't take the chip !

One of Us
Picture of Concho42
posted Hide Post
IMG]http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww300/concho42/000_0023.jpg[/IMG]
Here is the piece I will make the body from !

Don't take the chip !

One of Us
Picture of Concho42
posted Hide Post

Don't take the chip !