New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions on Sierra's
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was wondering of your all's opinions on Sierra bullets.Not killing wise really,but grouping wise.Myself,I have had no luck with the larger (25 caliber+) bullets.In everything I have tried them in,the BEST groups have been around 1.5".This being only their hunting bullets and not the Matchkings.Their 22 caliber bullets do fine in my rifles,but I am not impressed with their bigger calibers.Comments?

Posts: 507 | Location: Rogersville ,tn,usa | Registered: 06 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That hasn't been my experience. I shoot the 90 and 140gr .277 bullets and the 75 and 100gr .257 bullets with very good results. These are hunting bullets, not the match bullets. Many people consider the larger Matchkings to be the cream of long range target bullets.

Posts: 162 | Location: Miami, FL | Registered: 15 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had outstanding accuracy with both a .270 Win and .338 Win with BTSP Game Kings quite a few years ago, provided I fed each round into the chamber just prior to firing it vice loading 2 in the magazine and 1 in the chamber then firing those three rounds for a group.

Are you firing the rounds from the magazine after recoil has deformed the tips? If so your results are more or less as expected. If this is not the case I would work on seating depth and varying the charge weight, and even try another powder.

I am of course assuming your rifle has demonstrated good accuracy consistently with at least one handload or brand of ammo. Am I incorrect in that assumption?

[ 07-26-2003, 03:42: Message edited by: RuffHewn ]

Posts: 285 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
These are from rifles that I know are capable of better accuracy with other brand bullets,even Barnes' and you know how a lot of people feel about how they group.These are not fed from the magazine,but one at a time.I normally find the best powder/bullet combo BEFORE I start seating towards the lands and dial them in.So far in the larger calibers,I have not been enthused to even start messing with the length.

Posts: 507 | Location: Rogersville ,tn,usa | Registered: 06 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
90% of my load development starts with Match Kings. If a rifle of mine wont shoot MK's, I change the powder. Just my experience....sakofan..

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
I don't have much experience with Sierra's except the 225 grain .358. I use them exclusively in my .358 Win over 48.5 grains of IMR 4320. This load gives me about 2450 fps and .5 - .75 inch groups. I will be trying 225 grain Partions soon. I have used the Sierra on coyotes to black bear. Most of the time I get complete pass through on deer and smaller game under 100 yards. I took one black bear at about 50 yards and the bullet performed as desired; a picture perfect mushroom.

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I find they may not always be the most accurate in the cartridges I load for, but if not they run a very tight 2nd.
If you`re looking for accuracy they`re a good place to start.They are always one of the first bullets I grab when looking for accuracy. My 7-08 shoots bug holes with the 130gr matchking and I`m still trying to figure out if the hornady 129 SST out shoots the Sierra 120 SPT in my 260 rem. I`ve found the 30 cal 165gr bt to be a 1" or less grouper in my 30-06 MRI Mt Eagle. They aren`t always my first choice though. The Nosler BT shoots best in a couple of my rifles, and I have yet to find a better shooting / game performance 140gr 7mm bullet in the same 7-08 than the Hornady 139 SP.

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Alaska Bush Man
posted Hide Post
In my 338 Win I use the 250 Sierra BT for all my hunting in Alaska. Backed with 73.0 of Reloader 19 and Fed 215 GM Primers in Fed Prem Cases. This is my all around load and the bullet performs satifactory on Moose and Grizzly, with about 70/75 weight retention and extremely accurate.

I also use the 165 GKHP and 168 MK in my SSG 69 w/ 46.0 grains of VARGET w/BR-2 primers in Lapua and Norma Cases. Excellent Med Game or target loads. Regularly get groups less than .50" @ 100 yards.

[ 07-26-2003, 15:11: Message edited by: Alaska Bush Man ]

Posts: 523 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So far,not one bad result from you guys.Must be me,but I have to know,are you personally happy with 1.5"groups from a hunting rifle?Like I mentioned before,maybe I am too picky.

one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
sll, What are you shooting for a rifle and caliber, powder and all that? Don't teel me, an ultra light rifle. My 708 shoots 150MKs so well, I'm not even thinking of going to a BTSP. 1.5" at 100 translates to 6" at 400, plenty of accuracy for deer. But it sure is nice to get in the low 4s, isn't it. [Smile] Jay

[ 07-26-2003, 06:13: Message edited by: Jay Gorski ]

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Right you are Jay.I am shooting all calibers in a Remington Sendero,and feel that any of the calibers I use in that rifle are capable of MOA.I know for a fact that they all do that with other bullets.I have even tried a Weatherby or two with them and know that they are capable of more.

one of us
posted Hide Post
sll

I've had real good results using Sierra's from, .223's to the .30 cals. Most every rifle seemed to like them best between ten to fifteen thousandths off the lands.

Posts: 588 | Location: Central Valley | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like 'em. Shot a pile of Matchkings and Gamekings, no complaints with either one.

Posts: 594 | Location: MT. | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The .30 caliber 168gr BTHPM shoot very well through my Remington PSS with an Obermeyer 5R barrel. I have never used them beyond 600 yards, but they do everything I want them to inside that range.

Posts: 41 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 14 June 2003Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
I have heard and read a lot of BS about how Sierra Bullets are no good for hunting. Although I have had limited experience shooting game with them, the few times I used them on deer-sized game, they were excellent! Also, their varmint bullets literally "blow them away"!!

However, as far as accuracy goes, the Sierras have a rep for being as accurate a bullet as one can buy, except for certain B.R. custom, small-production bullets, and I have found that they are indeed accurate in all calibers I have used, up to the 300-grain .375 bullet. The BEST group I ever shot, five rounds through one .26" hole @ 100 yards, was shot with Sierra 100-grain .243" bullets. This with an 8-lb rifle with a Leupold 7.5X scope.

[ 07-26-2003, 18:08: Message edited by: eldeguello ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
It's strange that you can't do better than 1.5" with Sierras in that rifle, but rifles are all individuals. There's no telling what they'll like.

My last time on the range with my hunting rifles (lighter than your Sendero) I had groups of .48 and .55 with Sierra hunting bullets. I think that's acceptable.

Posts: 162 | Location: Miami, FL | Registered: 15 July 2003Reply With Quote
<wthbymag>
posted
My 7x64 loves the 160-grainers and H4831SC. The .375 WeM shoots well with 300-grain (on up) Hornady, RHINO, Swift, BearClaw, etc. but SIERRA GameKings spray like a shotgun. A-Square factory loaded offering shot equally badly. Just the rifle IMHO.

wthbymag

one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
sll, I'd try some of the MKs with your rifles, like for 300 Win. mag., the 190MK and alike for each of your Sendero's, get the accuracy load from the Sierra manual for whatever bullet(MK) you get, although, I've noticed Sierra uses alot of Federal brass and primers, I don't think you need to follow with using the Federal brass, I'm using brand new(unfired) Rem. brass for my 708 and getting in the low 4s for 5 shots, but follow the powder they're using, and maybe deviate plus or minus a grain from the accuracy load and that'll give you your best chance for an accurate load, I like to put my 150MKs about .010" off the lands, but Sierra'a aren't too fussy about the jump you give em'. Another thing, If you call Sierra and ask them what the accuracy standard is for some of their bullets, the MKs are 1/2moa, the others are about 3/4moa avg., so goiog with the MKs for accuracy evaluation is the way to go, they'll usually group better than they're regular pills. Jay

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am a little surprised that you cannot get the large caliber Sierra bullets to shoot for you, but then again, not everyone has the same results.

I have been shooting the 250 grain Sierra in my .338 Win Mag rifles for years and have always had great accuracy and terminal performance.

On the other hand, my 7mm Wby Mag used to shoot Sierra 160's quite well but will not now. No idea why, maybe they changed them, maybe the throat has worn. Not to worry, the 160 Nosler Partition shoots under an inch all the time.

I usually do well with Sierra bullets. In fact, I was testing the new Nosler Accubonds in my .300 Wby Mag the other day and was dissapointed. The best I could get was a group of around 1.5 inches, with most going closer to 2 inches. I also tried some 180 grain Sierra Pro Hunters that same day. The first group I shot with the Sierra bullets could be covered with a dime. I shot two more groups and either of them could be covered by a penny.

I took those same Sierra 180's on a wild hog hunt this last week and they gave excellant performance on a pretty good sized boar. My friends and I shot four hogs that same day. My Sierra's and another guys Nosler Partitions from our 300 magnums gave great performance. (Complete penetration, quite dead hogs.) Another guy shot a hog with a 225 Speer boat tail in his .338 Win Mag and it made an awfull mess. He blew one shoulder all to hell and the pig still ran and had to be shot again. The last hog we got my dad shot in the shoulder with a 139 Hornady SST from his 7mm Rem Mag. The bullet blew up on the shoulder and did not get into the vitals. That pig ran off and we had to track it down and finish it off.

Good Luck, R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jay,the Matchkings have shot good in my rifles.I just can not get the GameKings to do the same.Like I said,it must be me,everyone else seems happy with them.Maybe when I try seating them closer to the lands they will do better.

posted Hide Post
I've only used the 215gr gameking with RL22 in .338 and shoot 3 round groups into .63". 5 shot group into .7". chrony sez 2,959 fps.

Posts: 19 | Location: Snohomish, WA | Registered: 13 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
sll, I'd use the MKs for hunting if I were you, If you check out some of the threads on Longrangehunting.com, all the big guys on that forum use them for hunting out past 1000yds. and closer, one of the recent posts a fellow had said that if your velocity is between 2500-1700fps I believe it was, you'll have good results, getting good mushrooms and penetration on any kind of game, elk, bear, moose and deer. I'm going to give the 150MKs a try next chance I get, but would like to try shooting some water-filled milkjugs first to see how they actually mushroom and penetrate. Jay

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello sll,

You may be on to something. Now that I think of it, Sierras perform well in my .224's and .243's but are pretty spotty above that. In my 6.5, 7mm Mag. and .308Win. they are average at best. However, I get good results from the Nosler Bal. Tips in all three calibers. I use the match grade Sierras, (6.5) 142gr, (7mm) 168gr, and (.308) 168gr. I'm not hurt by it since the Noslers do so well, also the Lapuas are winners. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote